Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

I'm glad to see Ed's moving forward with this project.

Guru

Sounds tasty! Any word yet on where one might acquire such delicacies?

Is he doing only St. Lucia products or is he planning a tour of the islands with this private label? Is this all being reported from the ministry website? If so I guess I need to get connected over there. Haven't really followed it regularly in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    It has been fun following Edward Hamilton's travails in attempting to get a private label Rum imported and bottled for sale here in the states. Looks like he is close to getting the juice ready and lately he has been dithering about proof, coloring and labeling. Some of us have been urging him to skip the coloring and barrel some at barrel strength. He just posted some really, really good news for Rum enthusiasts. Looks like he will be bottling 4 of the barrels at barrel strength with no coloring added. WooHoo! That's a single barrel, straight from the cask pot still rum available as a 5, 7, 8 or 9 year old.
    This is a quote from his latest post;

This is something to look forward to.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    A little El Dorado 12 year old after dinner tonight. This stuff is really growing on me. It's such a perfect balance between the oak and sweetness. Now I'm really curious about the 15 year.

The 8 Year is also great!

Advanced Taster

I recently picked up El Dorado 5 and 12 year. Opened the 5 first and have not been very impressed so far. Even compared to the 5yr Plantation Barbados rum I sometimes drink, it seems to lack complexity and balance. I do however still have high expectations for the 12yr and plan to pit it head to head with the Appleton 12.

Advanced Taster

Thinking of getting some El Dorado 15 as well while it is on "sale"--is $27 a good sale price, or should I be in no hurry?

Advanced Taster

Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    Thinking of getting some El Dorado 15 as well while it is on "sale"--is $27 a good sale price, or should I be in no hurry?
    The cheapest I've seen ED15 is $35… $27 is great!

Advanced Taster

Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    I recently picked up El Dorado 5 and 12 year. Opened the 5 first and have not been very impressed so far. Even compared to the 5yr Plantation Barbados rum I sometimes drink, it seems to lack complexity and balance. I do however still have high expectations for the 12yr and plan to pit it head to head with the Appleton 12.
    I haven't tried ED5 yet, but ED8 is a bargain at $19 here in Dallas. Appleton 12 is a very different style with more esters. It's like comparing rye forward bourbon to wheated bourbon.

Guru

Bully, $27 is a very good price and even at $35 El Dorado 15 is an under priced World class distilled beverage.

Advanced Taster

Rum Forum

I thought I'd share my list of stock rums (i.e. those that I tend to keep on hand):

El Dorado 12/15 - $25/35 (Demerara)
    RL Seale 10 - $22 (Barbados)
    Appleton 12 - $25 (Jamaica)
    Matusalem 15/18 - $25/30 (originally Cuba)
    Barbancourt 5 Star - $22 (Haiti from cane juice)

For mixing, my favorite is Flor de Caña 4 Gold at $18 for 1.75L.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bearmark View Post
    I thought I'd share my list of stock rums (i.e. those that I tend to keep on hand):

El Dorado 12/15 - $25/35 (Demerara)
    RL Seale 10 - $22 (Barbados)
    Appleton 12 - $25 (Jamaica)
    Matusalem 15/18 - $25/30 (originally Cuba)
    Barbancourt 5 Star - $22 (Haiti from cane juice)

For mixing, my favorite is Flor de Caña 4 Gold at $18 for 1.75L.
    Looks like somebody has been reading Cap'n Jimbo's blog!

Although the Cap'n does have Mount Gay XO for his main Barbados representative the Seales is quite good as well. And I have been fortunate enough to have an extended dalliance with his first choice for the Cuban style, Havana Club 15 anos, in its native homeland. It is very nice but grossly overpriced in my opinion, at least in its current bottling, at $150 a bottle and not notably better to me than the Matusalem Gran Reserva Solera at probably less than a quarter of the price (I couldn't bring any home anyway but did bring an empty bottle as a souvenir!). I found the HC 7 anos to be perfectly exceptable at a far better QPR anyway.

Without any desire to pick at old wounds any discussion of rums for me should include other rhum agricoles in addition to Barbancourt. And to be fair the Cap'n does mention Clement Cuvee Homere, a traditiona lMartinique AOC rhum agricole, in the rhum agricole category. Barbancort is a fine rum and certainly to the best of my knowledge meets the definition for the rhum agricole style but somehow lacks the more classical grassy-ness of agricoles from Martinique and even Guadeloupe that is present to me even in more aged bottlings. I have to wonder if, like many rums, there is a little something extra added to Barbancourt that is generally not permitted to be added to agricoles from the more tightly controlled regions like the subset of rhum agricole from the Martinique AOC.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum