Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Advanced Taster

Re: Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Looks like somebody has been reading Cap'n Jimbo's blog!

Although the Cap'n does have Mount Gay XO for his main Barbados representative the Seales is quite good as well. And I have been fortunate enough to have an extended dalliance with his first choice for the Cuban style, Havana Club 15 anos, in its native homeland. It is very nice but grossly overpriced in my opinion, at least in its current bottling, at $150 a bottle and not notably better to me than the Matusalem Gran Reserva Solera at probably less than a quarter of the price (I couldn't bring any home anyway but did bring an empty bottle as a souvenir!). I found the HC 7 anos to be perfectly exceptable at a far better QPR anyway.

Without any desire to pick at old wounds any discussion of rums for me should include other rhum agricoles in addition to Barbancourt. And to be fair the Cap'n does mention Clement Cuvee Homere, a traditiona lMartinique AOC rhum agricole, in the rhum agricole category. Barbancort is a fine rum and certainly to the best of my knowledge meets the definition for the rhum agricole style but somehow lacks the more classical grassy-ness of agricoles from Martinique and even Guadeloupe that is present to me even in more aged bottlings. I have to wonder if, like many rums, there is a little something extra added to Barbancourt that is generally not permitted to be added to agricoles from the more tightly controlled regions like the subset of rhum agricole from the Martinique AOC.
    I'm definitely a fan of the Cap'n. He's taught me (and many others) a great deal about rum styles and finding affordable rum treasures. For me, it took me a while to appreciate rhum agricole and I plan on trying several others (Monte Cristo 12 for one). I also preferred Flor de Cana 18, which I still like a lot, before trying El Dorado 15. The list above is just what I stock based on a variety of taste profiles and value. There are plenty of other rums that I've tried and this list will continue to grow. I've thoroughly enjoyed Zacapa XO, Brugal 1888, Cruzan Single Barrel, Mount Gay XO, Westerhall Plantation (agricole/Cuban blend), Santa Teresa 1796, Doorly's XO, Scarlet Ibis and Dos Maderos 5+3, but I didn't much care for Zacapa 23, Dos Maderas PX, Wray & Nephew Overproof, Sweet Crude (Louisiana craft rum) or Pussers Blue Label. If you know the Cap'n, then you'll see several differences of opinion here.

There's a lot of variation in rum, just like there is with bourbon and malt whisk(e)y. This is what makes it really fun for me. Learning more about these styles and being able to identify them is extremely helpful in discovering new finds/values as well as being able to describe them to others for their benefit. The Cap'n has furthered this knowledge, which he attributes to Dave Broom, and he's also a stickler for truth-in-labeling, which I'm also a proponent of. He's in good company with people like Chip Tate of Balcones fame, which reminds me that I can't wait to taste his rum.

Virtuoso

So often the "styles" of rum from different regions is a regional preference for what flavors are traditionally added to the juice. Either as additives late in the aging process or infused similar to the way gin is infused with flavors.

My enthusiasm for rum as sold in the US has diminished as my appreciation for Bourbon has increased. The things I have learned about flavors from Bourbon have informed my lack of enthusiasm for the sweet rums that are so common. Over the last year a couple of pours have helped clarify my growing dissatisfaction with rum.

Most of us have had enough years of experience with the flavor set that new (Bourbon) and used (scotch) barrels impart to whiskey to be very very suspicious of bold and unmistakeable flavors of raisin, prune, pineapple, coffee, big super over the top sweet notes, giant vanilla, cinnamon in so many of the rums on the shelf today.

Clement produces an agricole rum that is bottled and sold as a single barrel, at barrel strength, unfiltered, terrior specific and vintage dated.

Cadenhead bottles a 25 yr demerara rum that has this label on the back; "This rum has been bottled under the sole responsibility of William Cadenhead Ltd. With the exception of water added to bring the rum to drinking strength it has been bottled in it's natural state. It has not been treated to change it's color and is free from all additives. It has not been subjected to any chill filtering that might remove natural constituents and spoil it's flavor."

These two examples when sipped together show remarkable similarities for one being an agricole and one being a demerara. The similarities in flavor and mouth feel come from the common aging vehicle, a barrel. When compared to any Zacappa or El Dorado or Matuzalem or Zaya so many others the difference is striking. Nearly all the others have an obvious fruit flavor and sweetner added component in greater and lesser degrees to the point that they really seem more like a cocktail in a bottle rather than a quality molasses or cane based spirit that has been aged honestly.

Personally I found the subtle, lovely, woody, unfooked with flavors in the two examples listed above to be so satisfying (the way a great pour of whiskey is satisfying) that I don't have much time for the super sweet flavors added stuff any more. In comparison they seem like party drinks the way a soda is a party drink. Sweet, tasty and fun but not worth spending much time thinking about. This is the same reason the flavored bourbons and whiskeys don't get a lot of thread time on this forum. Yeah, there is some great rum being made, but very little of it is for sale in the US as they seem to be produced for the European palate which generally seems to prefer a dryer product with far fewer additives.

Note that the the international association of rum producers can't agree on a definition of what rum is. That might be a small hint that there is some significant flavor fudging going on with most production. No one want's to give up their flavorings in order to conform to a definition.
    Last edited by sailor22; 06-14-2013 at 11:46.

Virtuoso

AWWWW Man..... It seems Mr. Hamilton isn't actually bottling single barrel selections at all. Rather, he had some barrels toped off before shipping and will be bottling them at barrel strength. The barrel strength is good but they are NOT single barrel selections, they are small batches (or vattings) that have been shipped in a single barrel. This shows just how far out of the whiskey mainstream that the rum world is that he is comfortable calling this juice a single barrel selection.
    This could still be a great pour but calling it a single barrel is deceptive.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    AWWWW Man..... It seems Mr. Hamilton isn't actually bottling single barrel selections at all. Rather, he had some barrels toped off before shipping and will be bottling them at barrel strength. The barrel strength is good but they are NOT single barrel selections, they are small batches (or vattings) that have been shipped in a single barrel. This shows just how far out of the whiskey mainstream that the rum world is that he is comfortable calling this juice a single barrel selection.
    This could still be a great pour but calling it a single barrel is deceptive.
    I suppose for shipping purposes that would make the most sense. But if it is in fact labeled as "single barrel" that doesn't seem to pass the sniff test! Calling it small batch or words to that effect would seem more appropriate.

Interesting that the 9yo seems to be going down in ABV after the increase from the 5yo to the 7yo & 8yo barrels. Would think the tropical weather would keep the proof going up.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 06-16-2013 at 18:20.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Rum Forum

anybody have any information on this? Saw it in a store today for $99.00 looks to be mid 80s

Guru

I've had it, I liked it, but at that price I could do much, much better.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I've had it, I liked it, but at that price I could do much, much better.
    Is this the same bottle you mentioned in a post a while back or a different one?

I am inclined to agree with Squire but then I have been unerwhelmed by Bacardi for a long time. Of course this is likely an older bottling. I don't think it is made anymore or at least not regularly sold in the US anymore. Value may be more in the rarity than the contents. Still, it seems a bit pricey, even for Bacardi.

I would think there are better options out there for less money if you can find them in your area.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Rum Forum

Same bottle, just remembered to take a picture.. I figured for the price it was not anything special but in case it was something someone had been hunting I just took the time to take a pic.
    Last edited by michaelturtle1; 07-18-2013 at 12:20.

Taster

Out shopping today and found a store with 13 bottles of the Planter's Gold. Six of them followed me home.

Guru

That's a nice, even number, good move.