Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

Picked up my first cachaça yesterday. Found a couple of 375ml bottles of a Maison Leblon Reserva Especial aged cachaça and decided to give one a try on a bit of a whim. Like the Rogue whiskey it was a special order that was never picked up.

Reportedly this is aged up to two years in new Limousin French oak (no char I presume) and blended from single batches distilled in alambique potstills. Taste profile is described as a "complex smooth spirit with notes of honey, caramel, and pine nuts".

Not sure I got much in the way of pine nuts but there was a nice honey/caramel component combined with the vegetal component of a new make cachaça or rhum agricole. Tasted it neat at room temp but it might benefit from a bit of ice or a little time in the refrigerator before serving.

Leblon cachaca 1.jpegLeblon cachaca 2.jpeg
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Picked up my first cachaça yesterday. Found a couple of 375ml bottles of a Maison Leblon Reserva Especial aged cachaça and decided to give one a try on a bit of a whim. Like the Rogue whiskey it was a special order that was never picked up.

Reportedly this is aged up to two years in new Limousin French oak (no char I presume) and blended from single batches distilled in alambique potstills. Taste profile is described as a "complex smooth spirit with notes of honey, caramel, and pine nuts".

Not sure I got much in the way of pine nuts but there was a nice honey/caramel component combined with the vegetal component of a new make cachaça or rhum agricole. Tasted it neat at room temp but it might benefit from a bit of ice or a little time in the refrigerator before serving.

Leblon cachaca 1.jpegLeblon cachaca 2.jpeg
    If you want a great cachaça at a better price, then try Fazenda Mae de Ouro. It's definitely far better than the regular Leblon offering, but I haven't had the Reserva Especial. Also, be sure to make a Caipirinha… the classic drink with cachaça.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bearmark View Post
    If you want a great cachaça at a better price, then try Fazenda Mae de Ouro. It's definitely far better than the regular Leblon offering, but I haven't had the Reserva Especial. Also, be sure to make a Caipirinha… the classic drink with cachaça.
    I've had cachaça and Caipirinha's before, just never bought one of my own. Mae de Ouro is available here in town I believe but I am more interested in the extra aged versions and different woods used including local Brazilian woods. But those seem hard to come by at least in the US. I bought this Leblon bottle more out of curiosity as it seemed to have more age than most others I have seen. The industrial grade fiery young cachaça like Pitu and 51 don't really interest me much and even those that have a little aging like the 1yo Mae de Ouro probably wouldn't be what I am looking for.

If I could find the five year old Mae de Ouro then I would give that a try!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Advanced Taster

Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I've had cachaça and Caipirinha's before, just never bought one of my own. Mae de Ouro is available here in town I believe but I am more interested in the extra aged versions and different woods used including local Brazilian woods. But those seem hard to come by at least in the US. I bought this Leblon bottle more out of curiosity as it seemed to have more age than most others I have seen. The industrial grade fiery young cachaça like Pitu and 51 don't really interest me much and even those that have a little aging like the 1yo Mae de Ouro probably wouldn't be what I am looking for.

If I could find the five year old Mae de Ouro then I would give that a try!
    If you find a good aged Cachaça in the states, then I'd love to hear about it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bearmark View Post
    If you find a good aged Cachaça in the states, then I'd love to hear about it.
    The US distributor, Domaine Select, has it listed as a product they distribute but I can't tell where it is located. I guess I just need to contact them and see if I get a response. Perhaps it is available somewhere in NY.

No 5 year old Mae de Ouro on DUNY or Astor but I do see a couple of moderately aged cachaça's including Novo Fogo gold and one from Avua (not familiar with that brand) aged in local amburana wood.

Will have to give those some thought.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 07-21-2013 at 09:55.

Enthusiast

I haven't had any aged cachaca sounds interesting, but man, I love me a caiprainha on a hot day.

In other news I saw a bunch of Mount Gay Eclipse from the 80's with either real or faux tax stamps. They were 375mls and overpriced at $9.99 each and 200mls @ $5.99 so I passed on them for now. Does anyone know if there's anything special about these? Any reason to pay a premium or even spend time trying to negotiate a lower price? Thanks in advance.

Guru

Have had no luck getting any info about the 5yo Mae de Ouro which is both frustrating and annoying. But I intend to keep at it!

I did pick up a Clement Cuvee Homere today because it seemed to be a bit less than the usual $100+ I see it going for. Cracked it open at the next store I stopped at to share with a couple of employees who are always helpful. Relatively light and easy to drink making it a nice summer rum. Somewhere between rum and a light whiskey.

Guru

Scratched a particularly strong itch this week with the arrival of some Clement Single Barrel Cask Strength rhum agricole from overseas. Having tried this thanks to the generosity of a fellow SBer I really was interested in acquiring some of my own. Unfortunately increased overseas shipping costs made this a particularly expensive itch to scratch but sometimes you just have to relieve what ails you!

Clement 1.jpegClement 2.jpgClement 3.jpeg

This particular bottling weighed in at about 9 years 4 months and despite being cask strength is at a very drinkable 46.8 ABV.

Some people look for the white whale bottles. This is my Salmon bottle. First it was born and raised in Martinique, then it traveled to France and on to the Netherlands before once again crossing the pond to my home!

Next it wioll go in my belly before eventually making its way through various modern public services to the Chattahoochee river and down to the Gulf! From there it can once again return home to the lovely island of Martinique and perhaps a bit of it can again been reborn as part of a another lovely bottle of rhum agricole...
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 08-10-2013 at 06:13.

Guru
    That bottle is well travelled... I'll tell you about my VR21 one of these days.

Looking forward to your impressions.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    That bottle is well travelled... I'll tell you about my VR21 one of these days.

Looking forward to your impressions.
    As am I! Plan to crack one tonight. The previous tasting I had of it was spectacular but that bottle had been open awhile and was a different barrel of course. These are single barrel so I suppose some variation is to be expected.