Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    As am I! Plan to crack one tonight. The previous tasting I had of it was spectacular but that bottle had been open awhile and was a different barrel of course. These are single barrel so I suppose some variation is to be expected.
    Had a chance to open one fo the bottles of Clement Single Cask. I have bottles from two different barrels (although surprisingly the proof is identical which was a little surprising for a single cask orffering that is presumably unfiltered and uncut). Sometimes I put a high expectation on a bottle based on a previous tasting. That can be particularly dangerous with a single cask offering when drinking from a different cask.

Fortunately this one did not disappoint! Light, dry and almost whiskey like in nature which is what I remembered. Only the nose and a touch of a vegetal component give away its origin as a fresh sugar cane juice distillate. It has a pleasant nutty component and a long dry finish with just a hint of caramel in the background.

I will be curious to see if and how it opens up over time now that it has been opened. Will likely try a drop or two of water as well to see what the effect is.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru
    Sounds delicious! Man, I need to keep a bottle of rum @ my desk ;-)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Glad you managed to get some in hand! Good notes. We will have to compare the different barrels when I visit Atlanta this fall.

It really is much more like a whiskey than what we think of as Rum isn't it. Really makes you wonder how much flavorings they add to so much of what is on the shelf.
    Last edited by sailor22; 08-12-2013 at 15:27.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Glad you managed to get some in hand! Good notes. We will have to compare the different barrels when I visit Atlanta this fall.

It really is much more like a whiskey than what we think of as Rum isn't it. Really makes you wonder how much flavorings they add to so much of what is on the shelf.
    Hopefully your visit will correspond with a time that I am in town. Going to be gone a fair bit of September and October. But I am still determined to make a trip to Tallahassee at some point!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Virtuoso

Your welcome at any point!

Virtuoso

Not exactly rum but rum based. El Dorado Rum Cream Liqueur. Very tasty stuff.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Not exactly rum but rum based. El Dorado Rum Cream Liqueur. Very tasty stuff.
    Indeed it is! Probably my second favorite rum based cream liqueur behind the peanut-ty goodness that is Castries.

Advanced Taster

Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Be forewarned, it is a slippery slope! This wesite has some interesting info that tells you a bit more about the different formulations. As Squire notes, with El Dorado the older rums aren't just older versions of the same blend but unique blends of their own.

http://www.rumgallery.com/el-dorado-12-year-old.html
    http://www.rumgallery.com/el-dorado-...reserve-2.html
    http://www.rumgallery.com/el-dorado-...l-reserve.html
    http://www.rumgallery.com/el-dorado-millennium-25.html

Some history on the stills:
    http://www.demeraradistillers.com/ou...age/the-stills

Thanks to the generosity of Steve/Sailor22 I got to try the ED 25yo for the first (and perhaps only?) time. If I saw a bottle I might buy it despite the mind numbing price. But I would really like to find a nicely aged pure Port Mourant bottling that didn't cost two arms and leg the way the ED25 does. There are a few out there by independent bottlers but I don't see them in the States much.

DDL offers a 12-14 yo distillers bottling of three different stills including the Port Mourant still but I don't think it comes to the US very often either. I would love to get all three of the "single still" rums to try.

Binny's got all three in the past couple of months. Not sure on age, but they're $75 a pop. Should I give any of these a shot?

Guru

It really depends on how much $75 is worth to you. Here ED 12 is $34, the 15 not a lot more, and both are quite satisfying. The rare high end stuff is hard to find and priced accordingly.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    Binny's got all three in the past couple of months. Not sure on age, but they're $75 a pop. Should I give any of these a shot?
    As someone who really enjoys ED rums I would get all three just to be able to try them. They should reflect the unique nature of the rum from each still but I would think they won't be as complex as the regular ED line. But if they haven't doctored the rum too much I think they would be fascinating to try.

If Binny's shipped to Georgia I would probably be placing an order! Will have to look around to see if they are available locally.