Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

That's what I was thinking, less complex but didn't want to appear to be in any way negative. They are certainly unique in a good way.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Rum Forum

I'm just curious about what different notes the different stills will impart (obviously). I think I may enjoy the 'pot still effect' but I haven't had enough spirits from them to identify exactly what it is yet. However, I'll probably pass on these. ED12 is good, but it hasn't nudged its way to the top of my collection.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    anybody have any information on this? Saw it in a store today for $99.00 looks to be mid 80s
    I found what seems to be an early 90s example (faux stamp and govt warning) for $20. I'll try to post some tasting notes this week.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Picked up a bottle of Richland Rum. Distilled in Richland, GA of some part cane juice from cane grown on their farm (limited due to climate, even though S. GA), and also cane syrup.

Only have nosed, so far, and that part is pleasant. I'll prime my taste buds with it tonight, in preparation for the bourbon onslaught that will follow over the next couple of days at KBF...

http://www.richlandrum.com/index.html
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Heading to Jamaica in a couple of months for some r&r. Never been but guessing 1) I won't find any bourbon beyond Jim and Jack and 2) I will find rum out the wazoo. So.....assuming I am right what are the consensus recs for rums that a bourbon guy would enjoy sipping?
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Heading to Jamaica in a couple of months for some r&r. Never been but guessing 1) I won't find any bourbon beyond Jim and Jack and 2) I will find rum out the wazoo. So.....assuming I am right what are the consensus recs for rums that a bourbon guy would enjoy sipping?
    Look for something from Sangster's since it's not available here. The distillery is at World's End in the Blue Mountains.

Guru

Thanks to the kind assistance of a fellow SBer I was able to acquire the El Dorado "Connoisseur" range of single barrel, single still rums!

El Dorado Single still.JPG

This includes the EHP (Enmore Estate), a unique continuous wooden Coffey still; the PM (Port Mourant) wooden double pot still, the only one of its kind left in the world, and the ICBU (Uitvlugt Estate) using the original continuous four column French Savalle Still.

http://www.theeldoradorum.com/connoisseur-range

It has been posted here before but here is more about the stills:

http://www.demeraradistillers.com/ou...age/the-stills

The wording on the website is a bit curious in places but I hope these are in fact "single still" rums as the website describes. If they are also single barrel so much the better. One big downside is that each has been watered down to 80 proof. But I knew that going in. Barrel proof, or at least higher proof, would be so much better.

I look forward to spending some time with each of these in the very near future!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Bruce that is extremely interesting and your taste notes will be gratefully received here be assured.

Gary

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Sangsters is everywhere, as is Wray & Nephew and Appleton. Littlefield is smaller but just as tasty. Be sure to give rum cream a try. Goes great in coffee to start the day but works well over ice while lounging in a hammock on the beach. Yea mon!

Advanced Taster

Went to a bar last night- Three Dots and a Dash. Focus is on classic tiki drinks. They've got an impressive drinks list, with proper TV and Donn recipes as well as nifty custom creations. I had a Jet Pilot and a Tropic of Thistle. The Tropic of Thistle was one of their drinks, and caught my eye because it had Arrack, Cynar, amaro Abano, and other curious ingredients. To top it all off, they've got a selection of over two hundred rums. It's a bit pricey, being a Chicago cocktail bar, but I plan on spending some time there to conduct further research.