Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    Came across a Plantation Grenada 1998 today. The only ones I usually see are the Barbados 5yr and the Jamaica. Decided to bring it home without knowing much about it, but figured I might not see it again and at worst I'll use it for cocktails.
    If it is anything like the bottles I have then it is spectacular! So much so that I buy more when I see it!

From a while back.

IMG_6140mod.jpg

First few bottles I saw said cask 9 of 10. But a more recent bottle said cask X of 15. Makes me wonder if they have released more or perhaps added five more barrels recently. I suppose I need to try one of the 10's versus the 15's.

I added 2 more from my trip out to the Left Coast over Thanksgiving.

Clement 6yo and 10yo from the Grand Reserve series in recognition of Clement's 125th Anniversary.

Clement.JPG

Should be interesting up against the Single Cask Clements which are nearly 10yo themselves.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    If it is anything like the bottles I have then it is spectacular! So much so that I buy more when I see it!...
    That's good to hear! The ones in your picture are the Guadiloupe while the one I found is the Grenada. Mine has a more turquoise label and cap strip. Have you had the Grenada? I'll be sure to report back when I crack it open.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    That's good to hear! The ones in your picture are the Guadiloupe while the one I found is the Grenada. Mine has a more turquoise label and cap strip. Have you had the Grenada? I'll be sure to report back when I crack it open.
    Ah! That is what I get for posting late under the influence of jet lag and sleeping pills. Haven't tried the Grenada version so will be curious to your notes.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Went Renegade as I broke open the two Renegade rums. Both were a bit flat but I was prepared for that based on Steve's notes from his bottle of Renegade. Of the two the Grenada had the most character and particularly mouthfeel with a balance of dry rumminess and a bit of spice on the back of the palate. Neither gave me any sense that they had spent time on Islay.

I will have to go back to these periodically to see how they open up.

Woodford malts.JPG

Oh, and we slipped a little of the Jeff 21 rye in there just for giggles! Pretty impressed with it. Dry and a bit oaky but not unpleasantly so with a decent amount of spice notes on the back of the palate. A pleasant surprise!

Enthusiast

Just bought my first rums. Looking forward to giving them a go, and easing my way in. Went with Ron Zacapa Solera 23 and Plantation 20th Anniversary for sipping, and Gosling Black Seal for mixing. Passed up the Zaya Gran Reserve Barbancourt 5 Star and some others. Have El Dorado 12 and 15 in my sights for a different store, and perhaps Diplomatico 12 Yr Reserva Exclusivo.

Advanced Taster

I'm not sure the source of this, but it was post on the facebook ministry of rum page. The Government in Finland tests the sugar levels in rums...which ones have a little something added.
    sugar in rum.jpg

Taster

Re: What Bourbon\Whiskey related items did you get for Christmas

Not so much Bourbon related but my in-laws went to the Dominican Republic and brought back a bottle of Ron Barcelo Imperial premium blend rum, 30 year. Anyone tried this? I'm not a rum guy but 30 year can't be bad.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Guru

In addition to the single malts I picked up in Tennessee I picked up a couple of rums that haven't appeared locally.

Pilar and Pink pigeon rum.jpg

Pink Pigeon is a molasses based rum from Mauritius (I think there is also an agricole style from Mauritius but this is not the same) that is flavored with Madagascar vanilla and other spices. Comes in an all black bottle making it impossible to see the rum inside. A bit disconcerting and at least one review suggested the vanilla is overpowering. But I thought I would try for myself!

http://www.pinkpigeonrum.com/

Papa's Pilar (the name of Hemingways boat) is a blend of rums from Barbados, Panama, Dominican Republic and somewhat surprisingly Florida that reportedly is aged in a 24 yo solera system ala Zacapa and along the way is finished in bourbon, port and sherry casks. Not terribly expensive but haven't tried it yet to see if it is worth the premium. Bottle is shaped like a WWII canteen so a bit gimmicky as well.

http://papaspilar.com/#/ourrums/duality
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 02-06-2014 at 12:43.

Guru

Also appears that Plantation Rum's 20th Anniversary rum (worth pointing out it isn't 20yo rum!) has gotten a complete make over from the former perfume style bottle. Looks more like the rest of the line. Already have a bottle so didn't need anymore at the moment.

Plantation new bottle.jpg

Guru

Anybody have any experience or thoughts on Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum? Appears to be a NAS rum which begs the question just how old it really is. But I have heard a few positive reviews from friends. The standard Gosling's is not that special to me except as a mixer for Dark n Stormy type fare as it is heavy on added molasses, much like Cruzan Blackstrap.

It is also a bit on the pricey side ($60ish) but not available locally to my knowledge and I may have a chance to pick up a bottle from a non local source.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 02-20-2014 at 10:14.