Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

Don there's a lot of discussion about that over on Ed Hamilton's site Ministry of Rum.

Not exactly a solera but vatting different age barrels of Bourbon to create a specific profile is a long time honored practice. A good example is Rare Breed which is a mix of 6-8-12 year old barrels. Same for Evan Williams Black Label though it's not mentioned on the label.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    So I just bought a bottle of the 23 Ron Zacapa "solera" (at the Binny's get together,had a pour of it at the bar 'cause I was early, liked it enough to buy me one) never knew what that meant until now,and looking into the definition.That process seems labor intensive and means keeping good records. Does it mean that the last barrel would have been aging 23yrs.How many barrels are usually used in the process? Seemed a bit confusing on the explantion,but I didn't study it to much,all I know is it tastes damn good! Wonder if there's bourbon out there done in the same way?

The new Hillrock bourbon calls itself a solera system but it isn't quite the same as the solera system used with Spanish sherry, which is what I typically associate it with. Basically it appears Hillrock takes young bourbon they make an age in small barrels and then combines that with sourced bourbon. Then the blend is further aged in 20 yo Oloroso sherry casks. Just how fresh those casks are, how frequently they are reused and how long the bourbon stays in there is probably anybodys guess.

This site talks about the sherry solera system. Whether Zacapa does it similar to this is not known to me but my understanding is that it is also not a true solera system in the sherry style. This site offers their take but I have no idea how accurate it is.

But it is a fair guess to assume only a small portion of the rum in the bottle was distilled 23 years ago.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    The new Hillrock bourbon calls itself a solera system but it isn't quite the same as the solera system used with Spanish sherry, which is what I typically associate it with. Basically it appears Hillrock takes young bourbon they make an age in small barrels and then combines that with sourced bourbon. Then the blend is further aged in 20 yo Oloroso sherry casks. Just how fresh those casks are, how frequently they are reused and how long the bourbon stays in there is probably anybodys guess.

This site talks about the sherry solera system. Whether Zacapa does it similar to this is not known to me but my understanding is that it is also not a true solera system in the sherry style. This site offers their take but I have no idea how accurate it is.

But it is a fair guess to assume only a small portion of the rum in the bottle was distilled 23 years ago.
    Ron Matusalem, from what I gather on their website (http://www.matusalem.com/en/faqs.html), uses a rum solera that is based on the sherry solera system. How truthful their website is, is of course up to debate. However, they do have a pretty good reputation in the rum world, and their solera rums are some of my favorites. Matusalem labels their bottles of solera rum with the "average" age of the rum in the bottle, and so you theoretically have much older rum in the blend than is advertised. This just seems to be a more truthful and honest approach than most of the other rum producers who market solera-aged rums. Most of the other rum producers slap the age on the bottle that represents the oldest rum in the solera blend, suggesting that the entire bottle contains rum at that age.

Guru

Yes they do and yes, it's deceptive, intentionally so and something to think about when considering a purchase.

Enthusiast

When did all this deception with everything come about,I guess I just don't remember it as much back in the day,I know it was there but not as prevalent, nowadays you just can't believe anything out there.
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Guru

Roadsigns along the information highway I suppose. People who never heard of these brands can read reviews and search them out. Dollars and demand drive it all.

Guru

Rum is a bit tough to judge by as it has always been kind of a free for all.

An exception in the rum world in recent years has been rhum agricole which has been a bit more defined than most styles of rum. The AOC for Martinique (and it only applies to rhum from Martinique that meets the requirements) is a bit more recent as it first appeared in the 90's but it is at least a little bit like the rules for bourbon in that it is supposed to meet certain criteria including little or no additives like sugar or coloring.

Other than that I know of no real effective rules that govern rum production.

Zacapa is an interesting example. It once was a true 23yo rum. But around the same time Diageo began distributing Zacapa worldwide, about 2008 I think, the true 23yo went away and you could start finding it everywhere. A few years later Diageo bought a controlling interest in Zacapa and now it is just another part of their portfolio.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Advanced Taster

I just bought (and am currently drinking) the new rum from Lost Spirits. One of the things that sold me on it is the statement on the back label, declaring that it contains no coloring additives, and no flavoring additives. It's hard to jump from straight bourbon, where I can safely assume there are no additives, to rum, where additives seem to be common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kpiz View Post
    I just bought (and am currently drinking) the new rum from Lost Spirits. One of the things that sold me on it is the statement on the back label, declaring that it contains no coloring additives, and no flavoring additives. It's hard to jump from straight bourbon, where I can safely assume there are no additives, to rum, where additives seem to be common.
    So how is it? Takes the trials of the damned to get one here where K&L doesn't ship so curious if it is worth the effort!

Virtuoso

How truthful their website is, is of course up to debate. However, they do have a pretty good reputation in the rum world, and their solera rums are some of my favorites. Matusalem labels their bottles of solera rum with the "average" age of the rum in the bottle, and so you theoretically have much older rum in the blend than is advertised. This just seems to be a more truthful and honest approach than most of the other rum producers who market solera-aged rums.
    Matusalem does indeed have a good reputation, unfortunately it is undeserved. They are a very long way from truthful and forthcoming about their product. When the family left Cuba some of the relatives went to Miami and some to the Dominican Rep. The court battle between these two factions of the family contains a sworn statement detailing the recipe used for their Rum and it contains Macerated Prunes and Vanilla Beans. In short they are as guilty as any other manufacturer of using flavoring additives and then denying that they do.