Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Advanced Taster

Re: Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    So how is it? Takes the trials of the damned to get one here where K&L doesn't ship so curious if it is worth the effort!
    I think it's very good. It's a little young tasting, but the flavor is really good and unusual. I wasn't sure about it after my first taste, but I've come to crave the unusual flavor it presents. I alo love that its 136 proof. I think it's worth trying to get a bottle.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

A friend brought back from St. Lucia Chairman's Reserve The Forgotten Casks, a blend of pot still and column still rums between 5 and 11 years old. Really top stuff, smooth as glass but redolent of rich rum flavours especially the orange oil/petrol classic notes of the true pot still rum. I couldn't do a better blend myself. Better than most brandies IMO.

Guru

Sipping on some Balcones Rumble Cask Reserve - 13.2, 58.8%

¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Sipping on some Balcones Rumble Cask Reserve - 13.2, 58.8%

Any thoughts on it yet? I found it different from a typical rum but enjoyable to me. The regular strength bottle doesn't hold up as well as the cask strength though.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

This is the best I've had from Balcones IMO - and no it's not like other rums I've had. I really actually enjoy it as it's got some nice complexity and fruitiness. Too bad they're so difficult to come by.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Too bad they're so difficult to come by.
    Is the Cask Reserve an annual release then? I was in Austin last year and didn't even see any in bars there; just the standard release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kpiz View Post
    Is the Cask Reserve an annual release then? I was in Austin last year and didn't even see any in bars there; just the standard release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I get the impression that there isn't any specific schedule for it. The website suggests it initially was a happy accident of "forgotten" barrels and that it was so good that it deserved to be bottled at cask strength. It also suggests that at least the original barrels where a bit older so perhaps the cask strength Rumble is typically aged a bit longer than the reguler Rumble. That is just speculation on my part.

If Winston from Balcones sees this perhaps he can comment on whether the CS Rumble is indeed a bit older than the regular Rumble and not just an unfiltered and barrel proof bottling of regular Rumble.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Virtuoso

Opinions on the Appleton 21 year. I've only had the 12 and like it but is the 21 worth the premium price? Subjective question I know.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Opinions on the Appleton 21 year. I've only had the 12 and like it but is the 21 worth the premium price? Subjective question I know.
    I have tried it but don't own a bottle. It was quite good but not distinctive enough to me to warrant spending $100+ on it. The Appleton 12yo is a very good rum and works well as a mixer too at around $30. I would see if I could find a way to try it first before buying.

I prefered to spend the money instead on the El Dorado 21 which was around $75-80 back when I got it a year or two ago. I think it may be a bit more now but haven't checked recently.

Virtuoso

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like sage advice.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel