Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Thanks for all the info, guys. Like bourbon and single malts, it's somewhat of a steep learning curve when you first stick your toe in the water. I can get the 5 Star 8YO for $20, while the 15YO Estate Reserve is $40. I think I might try the 5 Star first but know in my heart that I'll be buying the 15 ER before too long. The El Dorado 12 is $25 and the 15 YO was about $10-$12 more. I'm assuming it's better to shell out the extra dough? I did come across a few different products from Clement at various price points. Any recommendations on one to start with? Finally, the Matusalem Gran Reserva is priced around $20 but I'm not hearing much love for it here. Thanks again.
    Because of the extraodinary and unique still capability at DDL (El Dorado) it is worth noting that the 15 is not just the 12 with 3 more years. El Dorado is made from a blend of several different and very unusual ancient stills including possibly the only commercial (and maybe only) wooden pot and coffey stills in the world still actively distilling. So it is worth trying the 12 and the 15 (and the 21 as well! The 25, while superb, is a fairly pricey unicorn-ish rum that is rarely seen out in the wild).

So yes, once the hook is set you will likely be shelling out more dough!

Hard to say with the Clements of what is readily available. If you want to take a chance I would suggest the Grande Reserve 6 and 10 yo. $50 and $70 respectively at Hi Time Wine. I have both and they are quite nice!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

One thing to consider about the 15 year old El Dorado, it's not the 12 with 3 more years of age. The 15 is an entirely different profile, more dry, austere, more cognac like perhaps. The 12 goes for flavor, the 15 for subtle complexity.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

In addition to the somewhat splashy whisky I got from K&L I also made room for a bottle of 136 proof Lost Spirits Navy Style rum after trying a sample from a fellow SBer. Quite distinctive with interesting sherry notes which is something I am always looking for especially with new rum!

Lost Spirtis Rum.JPG
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Because of the extraodinary and unique still capability at DDL (El Dorado) it is worth noting that the 15 is not just the 12 with 3 more years. El Dorado is made from a blend of several different and very unusual ancient stills including possibly the only commercial (and maybe only) wooden pot and coffey stills in the world still actively distilling. So it is worth trying the 12 and the 15 (and the 21 as well! The 25, while superb, is a fairly pricey unicorn-ish rum that is rarely seen out in the wild).
    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    One thing to consider about the 15 year old El Dorado, it's not the 12 with 3 more years of age. The 15 is an entirely different profile, more dry, austere, more cognac like perhaps. The 12 goes for flavor, the 15 for subtle complexity.
    Thanks for pointing out the differences between the 12 and 15. I kinda had it in my head that they would basically share the same profile with just a bit more wood but they actually sound quite different, so in the shopping cart they both go! I have a fabulous discount liquor store about half an hour away that I want to visit tomorrow to see what's in stock before placing an on-line order. If I strike out there I'll be hitting Hi Time instead. Here's what I'm looking at now: Flor de Cano 12, Barbancourt 8, El Dorado 12 and 15 and Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva, which at $20 seems like a decent deal. Barbancourt 15 and Ron Zacapa 23 are sitting on the fence. Just grabbed a Bacardi 8 this afternoon at my local store which I plan to sample tonight. I wish I could spring for the Clement products but I think I'll see if I can sample the Grande Reserve 6 first before pulling the trigger on it, simply because of the price. Now, to find an easy bank to knock off...
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

I would put Clement last because for me the others have greater appeal.

Virtuoso

I find a lot of similarities between Matusalem GR and Zafra except that Zafra is twice as much. The Matusalem actually has Prunes and Vanilla infused when it's distilled, although that's not disclosed anywhere except in court records. See if you can pick up the underlying Prune notes.

You will find that undisclosed additives are typical of most Rums.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    The Matusalem actually has Prunes and Vanilla infused when it's distilled, although that's not disclosed anywhere except in court records. You will find that undisclosed additives are typical of most Rums.
    Well said . . . . . . . . . .

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    I find a lot of similarities between Matusalem GR and Zafra except that Zafra is twice as much. The Matusalem actually has Prunes and Vanilla infused when it's distilled, although that's not disclosed anywhere except in court records. See if you can pick up the underlying Prune notes.
    Prunes and vanilla? Matusalem smells like my grandmother?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Toss in a hint of lavender and, yes.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Prunes and vanilla? Matusalem smells like my grandmother?
    Nice! She sound delightful