Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2161697071

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by kjbeggs View Post
    Posted the other day in the "What Bourbon did you purchase..." thread about picking up a bottle of Papa's Pilar Dark Rum the other day.
    Tried it out soon after:
    The nose led me to expect loads of molasses, and for the first split-second of the sip, molasses seemed to be there, but it immediately disappeared behind some spice with a hint of heat.
    On the finish though, the molasses returned strong.
    A pretty decent rum, though it did seem a little flat. It would have been a much better purchase at the $25 I saw it for on Saturday, than the $39 I paid on Thursday.

Thanks. I also found it pleasant enough if somewhat sweet and one dimensional when I tried it last year during a Wednesday tasting. I

do kind of like the "canteen" bottle though...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I browsed the possibilities in the Alabama ABC store yesterday, and chose a bottle of Flor de Cana. I'm not sure what I think of it yet, but it seems to have won many awards. I seemed to detect a harsh alcohol overtone in a daquiri (I bought it mainly for my wife to make highballs). I will try it neat, next time.

Tim

Thanks for your replies, tanstaffl2 and UncleBunk. Mine is labeled as "Slow Aged 5" and is an amber rum. I did try it straight and, as I originally thought, it has a distinct harsh ethanol taste, much like run of the mill vodka. Also, it does not have much of the distinct "rum" flavor that I am used to in rums such as Mount Gay, Appleton, etc. I will definitely not be buying it, again.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Thanks. I also found it pleasant enough if somewhat sweet and one dimensional when I tried it last year during a Wednesday tasting. I

do kind of like the "canteen" bottle though...
    Yeah, the bottle is pretty cool, as are the Pumpkinhead bottles.
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Guru

Did a little late birthday shopping on Saturday-
    There was a Rum tasting/sale going on so ended up with:

2 X Smooth Ambler Revelation
    My fifth bottle of Balcones Texas Rum
    Mount Gay XO (at $24)
    Mount Gay Black Barrel (at $19)
    Blue Chair Bay Banana Rum Cream (this was for wife)

along with a bottle of Slaughterhouse, and a second 1792 Sweet Wheat.
    Once and for all I've got to get my hands on some SA Revelation and Balcones Texas Rum. And Mount Gay XO for $24? Fabulous deal!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Once and for all I've got to get my hands on some SA Revelation and Balcones Texas Rum. And Mount Gay XO for $24? Fabulous deal!
    YEP, the normal price at this store was $45 on the MGXO. since they were doing tastings in the store, it was on sale for $24 and I had to finally pull the trigger on it.
    Plus, I got the 10% off on 6 bottles deal this place offers as well.
    In my limited Rum experience, the Balcones Texas Rum is far and away my favorite, followed closely by the SA Revelation.

Guru

Yeah, the bottle is pretty cool, as are the Pumpkinhead bottles.
    Pumpkinhead? I know there is a beer called that. Do you mean Pumpkin Face rum?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Pumpkinhead? I know there is a beer called that. Do you mean Pumpkin Face rum?
    Oops, yes I did mean Pumpkin Face

Enthusiast

Whoa, local store just got a couple bottles of El Dorado 25 year rum. Nearly $500 a bottle? I wouldn't have thought that rum could command price points like that. Impressive.

(And no, I did not get a bottle. Would be interesting to taste though!
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett

Virtuoso

ED25 gives the "look at how much I can spend" crowd a wonderful distraction so that we can still buy the great sipping rums we love relatively unmolested.

I will always be grateful to ED25 (as well as the other ultra premiums like Diplomatico Ambassador and the high number Brugals, etc) for this.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensfire View Post
    Whoa, local store just got a couple bottles of El Dorado 25 year rum. Nearly $500 a bottle? I wouldn't have thought that rum could command price points like that. Impressive.

(And no, I did not get a bottle. Would be interesting to taste though!
    I had the chance to taste it thanks to the generosity of a fellow SBer that had one. Remarkably sweet like a liquid candy and very interesting but as much as I would like to have one they are way too expensive for me. as well I can do just fine with the 12, 15 and the 21 which I can still find for less the $100.

The 25 tends to be pretty rare in the US (or anywhere I suppose) but the last time I saw them they were more like $350 I think. As Paul notes if it helps distract others from the basic line and the price of those stays as reasonable as it is then I can live without one.