Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

What do you folks think of the Cruzan Single Barrel now that you've mentioned it? I see it around at Binny's for $30 and often consider buying it but have never pulled the trigger.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    What do you folks think of the Cruzan Single Barrel now that you've mentioned it? I see it around at Binny's for $30 and often consider buying it but have never pulled the trigger.
    Probably the best of the bunch in the Cruzan line but then again the bar isn't all that high. That said it won't break the bank and mixes well or can be used as a sipper in a pinch if you want the lighter "Cuban" style. Probably others in that price range I would choose like ED12 or for a bit more ED15 or Mount Gay XO and probably others not jumping to mind.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Rum Forum

Speaking of Cuban style, when my wife returned from England last week having struck out finding Yellow Spot at the duty-free stores, I wish I had told her to look for Havana Club as an alternate choice. I have never seen it or had it but would like to add it to my small rum collection.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Speaking of Cuban style, when my wife returned from England last week having struck out finding Yellow Spot at the duty-free stores, I wish I had told her to look for Havana Club as an alternate choice. I have never seen it or had it but would like to add it to my small rum collection.
    Having a couple of the Havana Clubs in hand (the typical travel retail basics, Anejo Blanco and Anejo Reserva) and having traveled to Cuba where I tried many others I would say that while it was pleasant enough there wasn't anything terribly unique about it (other than its rarity and "forbidden cachet" in the US of course).
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Have to agree about Havana Club, a bottle of which a friend gave me some years ago. Pleasant enough stuff, good mixer, worth trying if only to strike off the list.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Agree with the others above on the HC. Not very much worth the effort, beyond the forbidden fruit appeal.

Guru

Rum Forum

Thanks for the info on HC. I guess the "forbidden fruit" aspect of it gave it extra appeal to me but now I don't feel as bad about forgetting to tell my wife to pick it up. Such a shame though that she went to two duty-free shops at Heathrow and came back empty-handed. Bummer!