Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Thread: Rum Forum

Virtuoso

Re: Rum Forum

The Lemon Hart 151 arrived yesterday and what a let down. None of the sweet layered complexity balanced against molasses that the dusty version had, this one is all burnt molasses and has an unpleasant bitter finish. Nothing graceful and it shows it's proof way more than the dusty. This one is destined to be a mixer or perhaps a contribution to a large vatting.

The El Do 12 and 15 are not just the same Rum with a couple of extra years, they are different blends of the product of three different stills.

Guru

http://theeldoradorum.com/our-portfo...ed/12-year-old
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    The Lemon Hart 151 arrived yesterday and what a let down. None of the sweet layered complexity balanced against molasses that the dusty version had, this one is all burnt molasses and has an unpleasant bitter finish. Nothing graceful and it shows it's proof way more than the dusty. This one is destined to be a mixer or perhaps a contribution to a large vatting.
    No surprise there unfortunately. The older label 151 is perhaps a little better but not significantly so. But something from 30 or more years ago seems likely to be far superior. It is currently primarily a tiki mixing rum for me where the proof and the bit of flavor it does have compared to most other overproof rums does work well.

The El Do 12 and 15 are not just the same Rum with a couple of extra years, they are different blends of the product of three different stills.
    This chart help define some of the differences in the various El Dorado rums keeping in mind that El Dorado can and probably has changed up the formula from time to time. For example the El Dorado website indicates that the 12 does have Port Mourant rum in it in addition to the other two, despite what the chart notes.

This page gives you a little insight into some of the incredible and historic stills that they operate.

The extensive use of the heavy pot still rum in the 15 is what sets it apart for me and makes it my favorite.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 12-17-2014 at 07:31.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

That chart is really excellent. I didn't know that about the variations in the blend.

I'm quickly realizing that someday in the next few years I'm going to have to make the trip to Georgetown to pay my respects at Diamond.

Connoisseur

Thanks for the review, Sailor. There is a video on youtube of two guys discussing how it's similar to the old version. Of course, one of them is Ed Hamilton, the importer lol. I prefer your objectivity.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Tot View Post
    Thanks for the review, Sailor. There is a video on youtube of two guys discussing how it's similar to the old version. Of course, one of them is Ed Hamilton, the importer lol. I prefer your objectivity.
    I think it is important to note that the Lemon Hart 151 on each side of the transition to the new label a few years ago was not that much different. I have tried both SBS many times (including once at a dinner with Ed Hamilton) and several times in a blind SBS since I have both bottles. My preference is the old label but it is pretty close.

The bottle Steve is describing comes from a different universe that only existed several decades ago and would almost certainly blow the labels off both the new and the old label Lemon Hart that I have.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Thanks all for the input on the ED. I had gleaned from much earlier posts in this thread that the 12-year-old and 15-year-old were quite different, not just three years of additional aging. Suits me just fine and I can't wait to experience the difference. I absolutely love the ED 12 and find it to be a true bargain in the world of spirits. At this point, it would be hard to imagine not having a bottle in the house at all times, as many of my guests have no rum drinking experience and will be thrilled to discover just how good it can be.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    The bottle Steve is describing comes from a different universe that only existed several decades ago and would almost certainly blow the labels off both the new and the old label Lemon Hart that I have.
    Understood. Dark times for dark rums.

Virtuoso

Anyone have any experience with the Blackadder bottles of straight from the barrel, unfiltered, barrel proof rums? Have found both St. Lucia and Fiji rum selections by them. Pricey, and would like to hear some impressions from others before I pull the trigger.

For that matter what sort of reputation do the Blackadder Scotch single barrel selections have with Scotch enthusiasts?

Recently tried some Berry Bros. and Cadenhead selections of Rum that were a little disappointing so I'm not convinced the Scotch guys automatically have the magic touch with Rum.

Guru

Having tried rums from Samaroli, Duincan Taylor and the Renegade rums from Bruichladdich I am inclined to agree that the fact that they are shipped off to Scotland and bottled unchill filtered and presumably have no added color or sugar does not guarantee a good quality result, especially given they are usually a good deal more expensive.

I have never tried a Blackadder rum and only tried one Blackadder scotch. It was fine but not something that was necessarily "special". I think their reputation for scotch is generally pretty good but others no doubt have more experience to offer. Like most anything you have to approach these rum bottlings with caution and recognize it may not live up to expectations. Reviews from others can be of mixed value but may be your only guidance to work with if you can't taste in advance which is typically not an option.

But I would be delighted if you want to take one for the team and let us know if it is worth the effort!

Anyone have any experience with the Blackadder bottles of straight from the barrel, unfiltered, barrel proof rums? Have found both St. Lucia and Fiji rum selections by them. Pricey, and would like to hear some impressions from others before I pull the trigger.

For that matter what sort of reputation do the Blackadder Scotch single barrel selections have with Scotch enthusiasts?

Recently tried some Berry Bros. and Cadenhead selections of Rum that were a little disappointing so I'm not convinced the Scotch guys automatically have the magic touch with Rum.