Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758

Thread: Rum Forum

Virtuoso

Re: Rum Forum

Just opened Revelation Rum, Batch 2 (99 proof). Poured into a glencairn and sampled after 5 minutes, because it's been a long damn week and I need a drink.

Appearance: Normally I don't give a crap, but this is lighter than a lot of aged rums. Certainly lighter than the last bottle of El Dorado 15 I had . . . wonder why . . . I'd say 2nd or 3rd fill sherry in color. Maybe a fairly active bourbon cask scotch.

Nose: Coconut, bananas, and pineapple. Maybe a touch grainy smelling. A bit of tingly varnish/permanent marker smell, which I happen to like. Some butterscotch, maybe vanilla with a hint of cinnamon. Decent oak. While it's obviously rum, it smells a bit like a lowlander and a bit like the oaky elements of apple brandy.

Taste: Similar to the nose, but less sweet. Definitely has some oak elements in common with aged apple brandy here. The extra proof helps the mouthfeel quite a bit. While not quite as oily as some single malts, it's got some good presence. Finish is back to the pina colada mix with a pleasant bit of heat from the alcohol. Nice cinnamon red hots fading back into tropical fruits.

I could see myself drinking this regularly, especially as a change up from bourbon and scotch. It's not as complex as a lot of single malts, but it is very easy drinking and has a nice range of smells and flavors that I happen to like quite a bit. This is much less sweet than the aged rums I have tried, and I like that A LOT. I think I'll pour another and let it sit for half an hour or so, see what happens. Really pleased with my purchase. Glad I poked in on this thread. Looks like I have another brown spirit to add into my change up rotation.
    Last edited by garbanzobean; 03-20-2015 at 19:32.
    Eric

Virtuoso

Anyone else from this board heading down to Miami for the Rum Fest?

http://www.rumrenaissance.com/

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Anyone else from this board heading down to Miami for the Rum Fest?

http://www.rumrenaissance.com/
    Would love to but have a work trip at that same time. If you are going let us know if there is anything of note!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum