Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Connoisseur

Rum Forum

I am a bit surprised this isn't already a thread. So here it goes.

This thread is for anyone out there who collects, tastes, mixes, drinks the "other brown liquid" Rum or Rhum.

Before I started collecting Bourbon I was collecting Rum. Rum is different in so many ways. However, it shares a commonality with bourbon when it is aged. Sadly, the Angels are mighty greedy with Rum and they take 15% of the alcohol a year. Which makes you wonder how on Earth can they make 30 year rum? The Solera method. They will take a barrel that has been aging a few years and add some more new make. They'll also add in some older aging rum. Then they will take that barrel and move it somewhere else to age. They keep doing this for many, many, many years until they have a barrel that has been around for 30 years. It most likely has SOME 30 year rum in it....but not much.

Mocambo 20 yr Single Barrel is one such beast that shares a lot in common with bourbon. In fact, it tastes a lot like bourbon.

Here is my current Rum collection that I have been neglecting:
    • Ron Matuaelem Platino (White Rum)
    • Ron Metusalem Gran Reserve 18yr (the absolute best in my collection. These are no longer produced so if you find one...get it.)
    • Ron Zacapa 23yr (awesome stuff!)
    • Mount Gay Extra Old (Awesome everyday pour, neat or mixed)
    • Mount Gay 1703 30yr (not worth the price of admission )
    • Barbancourt Reserve Specialle Rhum 8yr (not as good as I would have expected)
    • Appleton Estate 12yr (good stuff)
    • Flora De Caņa 12yr (tastes like scope mouthwash)
    • Bacardi 151 (Standard munition. Gotta kill the zombies somehow )
    • Bacardi Superior (standard mixer)
    • Blackheart Spiced Rum (a gift. Has a nice sexy pirate on it!)
    • Myer's Rum (Dark Rum. Standard mixer)
    • Old Monk 9yr (Tastes like they dumped an entire barrel of vanilla and caramel flavoring in this. It comes from India of all places...i guess that's how they do it there.)
    • Mocambo 20yr Single Barrel (good stuff. Artsy bottle.)
    • Oronoco (White rum. Overly priced vanilla flavored vodka )
    I need to bunker another RM 18yr, RZ 23yr and then there is a tasty looking V.S.O.P. Rhum that I can get my grubby little hands on.

Anybody else collect Rum?
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Virtuoso

Re: Rum Forum

I've never had the Ron Zacapa 23yr but I have had my eye on it at a local store. I bet it's good!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    I've never had the Ron Zacapa 23yr but I have had my eye on it at a local store. I bet it's good!
    Let me put it this way...it's dangerous. You could easily drink that whole bottle and not realize you're drinking alcohol. It's that smooth O_O

Connoisseur

You guys are going to inspire me to start buying rum. With the amount of tequila already in the house, I'm not sure my wife will let me live through that...
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Advanced Taster

I like rum occasionally, Cruzan makes great rum. Pyrat is fantastic for the $20 it sells for. Zacapa 23yr is mind boggling, just fantastic stuff. The world of rum is immense and intriguing, there is a ton of variance, but its really tough to beat excellent rum. I like it neat in the summer months. Appleton, Cruzan, and Mt Gay make great rum across the board. It's best to jump in head first.

Guru

Red face Re: Rum Forum

I haven't been a big rum drinker for the past several years, but I used to really enjoy it. I currently just have a bottle of Mt. Gay Eclipse in the cabinet.

I also never got into the especially great rums. Probably the best I ever had was Pusser's Naval Rum. I used to buy Mt. Gay Sugar Cane Brandy fairly regularly. That is probably my all time favorite.

Then, there were many years of the pedestrian stuff - Bacardi, Ron Rico, etc. When I was in college, I thought Myers's Planters Punch was pretty high living.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Advanced Taster

I didn't know Ron Zacapa made a straight 23yr old rum. The Ron Zacapa 23 Solera is popular around here being a blend of rums between 6yr and 23yr. Is this the Centenario or Black Label 23 anos everyone is referring to? Where is it available?
    Last edited by WhiskyToWhiskey; 05-06-2012 at 05:52. Reason: added question

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyToWhiskey View Post
    I didn't know Ron Zacapa made a straight 23yr old rum. The Ron Zacapa 23 Solera is popular around here being a blend of rums between 6yr and 23yr. Is this the Centenario or Black Label 23 anos everyone is referring to? Where is it available?
    I guess I should have added tbe Solera part. My understanding is that all extra aged rum is solera because it evaporates in the barrel.so fast you really dont have much choice.

Connoisseur

A dusty rum bottle was my first wonderful taste of rum. An old Trader Vic's Golden Puerto Rican from the early 70's. 4/5 quart is now about 150ml.... Wonderful sugary pineapple goodness.

I've tried white Cruzan (gasoline), and always have the Bacardi 151 and Malibu on hand for making hurricanes.

I think Appleton Estate 12 year is my next target for rum, but it just doesn't get drank that much around here except for in cocktails. Summer is coming though, and a good mojito or daiquiri (non-frozen please, just rum, sugar, lime juice) can't be beat in the heat of an evening with a small cigar.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Virtuoso

Is Bacardi 8 Anos any good??