Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

Well that's a bit off putting, I dislike mustiness in any aged spirit.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

That would be an accurate description. Is it a mistake? Or, a normal part of some rum making?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

It's not present in the 5 year old but that may not be disclosive of much.

Virtuoso

I'm going with intentional. It's a little more pronounced but deeper and more complex in the ElDo 21 and is a big part of the overall dryness of the ElDo 25. Both of which my cigar smoking friends say pair excellent with a cigar.

Because Demerara Rum can be so cloyingly sweet I think the "oldness" and "soggy woodness" is used by some manufacturers as a kind of counterpoint both on the nose and in the flavor basket in order to move it away from the pancake syrup it can be.

I have grown to like it very much. When it's present I anticipate a more complex tasting experience. It also speaks of time in the barrel which is so often absent from Rum.

Virtuoso

I also like it, it isn't bad, to me, just that unique aged taste from el dorado rum.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

Ok, ok, I'm in, next time I run across one.

Disciple

You guys are killing me. I've got hours of reports to get done by tomorrow but here I am trying little pours of the ED 15 to check the funk out more . This bottle has a clear inkjet date of Aug/17/12. Now in the glass I'm not getting much of any rancio or even mustiness...but hold on...just shook, popped the cork and immediately took a big whiff from the bottle and damn!!!! Yep just a hint...but it's there. Rancio, mustiness or even more what I'd describe as that most definite of smells, the barnyard, and not hay...some might even call it sh*t...just like in some fantastic Rhone and Burgundy wines I've had. Damn good schnauze you got there Joe!

I find this does blow off in the glass and then there is also grapey/cognac/sherry flavors mixed in with the traditional rum sugars making this ED 15 a really unique, delicious and more complex rum, I quite enjoy dancing with...even though I'll always be married to American whiskey . But damn Steve, now you got me interested in the 21 and 25 too.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    But damn Steve, now you got me interested in the 21 and 25 too.
    One of the things Steve's really good at - getting people interested in whiskey.

Virtuoso

One of the most frustrating things about enjoying Rum is the obfuscation and deceptions by the producers. The Ministry of Rum - perhaps the most populated forum won't allow any discussion that's critical of producers or that asks any hard questions. So the marketing line of producers is rolled out as gospel.

If you have been frustrated by the pandering and fawning of "critics" Hamilton and Burr you will welcome a breath of fresh air as David Driscol of K&L travels to the islands looking for honey barrels and asking direct questions.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do;

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Hope you enjoy this as much as I do;
    I am. Great stuff from David as usual. Very interesting about Remy/Mount Gay. I never knew that about Ministry of Rum either.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011