Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

The 15 is a different style, not just an older version of the 12. The 15 is dryer, less sweet but no less rich, more cognac in character to use a less than precise comparison. Both are top of the line and a bargain compared to a comparable Scotch or Bourbon.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    The 15 is a different style, not just an older version of the 12. The 15 is dryer, less sweet but no less rich, more cognac in character to use a less than precise comparison. Both are top of the line and a bargain compared to a comparable Scotch or Bourbon.
    Thanks for the info, squire. Certainly sounds tasty.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Be forewarned, it is a slippery slope! This wesite has some interesting info that tells you a bit more about the different formulations. As Squire notes, with El Dorado the older rums aren't just older versions of the same blend but unique blends of their own.

http://www.rumgallery.com/el-dorado-12-year-old.html
    http://www.rumgallery.com/el-dorado-...reserve-2.html
    http://www.rumgallery.com/el-dorado-...l-reserve.html
    http://www.rumgallery.com/el-dorado-millennium-25.html

Some history on the stills:
    http://www.demeraradistillers.com/ou...age/the-stills

Thanks to the generosity of Steve/Sailor22 I got to try the ED 25yo for the first (and perhaps only?) time. If I saw a bottle I might buy it despite the mind numbing price. But I would really like to find a nicely aged pure Port Mourant bottling that didn't cost two arms and leg the way the ED25 does. There are a few out there by independent bottlers but I don't see them in the States much.

DDL offers a 12-14 yo distillers bottling of three different stills including the Port Mourant still but I don't think it comes to the US very often either. I would love to get all three of the "single still" rums to try.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    There are a few out there by independent bottlers but I don't see them in the States much.
    Do you guys have some independent bottler recommendations? I saw a Samaroli Rum the other day but held off due to lack of info at the time.

Back to the El Dorado topic - this has probably already been posted but this blog entry has fascinating info about the stills as well:

http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=15890
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Do you guys have some independent bottler recommendations? I saw a Samaroli Rum the other day but held off due to lack of info at the time.

Back to the El Dorado topic - this has probably already been posted but this blog entry has fascinating info about the stills as well:

Yes, Tiare has a bit of an ED crush (as do I admittedly!). I linked her site once before in this forum as I think it provides some very useful info in one location. You have seen it before!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Virtuoso

It isn't easy to get but Cadenhead would be my recommendation.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    It isn't easy to get but Cadenhead would be my recommendation.
    If the Cadenhead 25yo Demerara you brought last weekend is any indication then they are certainly worth it if you can find it!

Guru

Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    If the Cadenhead 25yo Demerara you brought last weekend is any indication then they are certainly worth it if you can find it!
    Does Demerara automagically mean Guyanese Rum?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Does Demerara automagically mean Guyanese Rum?
    I don't know off hand if it has been made an official designation like the Cognac or Champagne regions in France but generally Demerara means Guyanese rum.

Virtuoso

It has been fun following Edward Hamilton's travails in attempting to get a private label Rum imported and bottled for sale here in the states. Looks like he is close to getting the juice ready and lately he has been dithering about proof, coloring and labeling. Some of us have been urging him to skip the coloring and barrel some at barrel strength. He just posted some really, really good news for Rum enthusiasts. Looks like he will be bottling 4 of the barrels at barrel strength with no coloring added. WooHoo! That's a single barrel, straight from the cask pot still rum available as a 5, 7, 8 or 9 year old.
    This is a quote from his latest post;

None of the St Lucian Pot Still Rums will be colored.
    One barrel of each age lot of St Lucian Rum will be bottled straight from the still for purists and the other barrels will diluted with filtered spring water to 93 proof.

5 year old
    Barrel #534-06-08 will be bottled at cask strength ~ 59.2% ABV
    Four more barrels will be bottled at 93 proof

7 year old
    Barrel # 443-12-03 will be bottled at cask strength ~ 63.4% ABV
    Five more barrels will be bottled at 93 proof

8 year old
    Barrel # 423-10-05 will be bottled at cask strength ~ 63.2% ABV
    One more barrel will be bottled at 93 proof

9 year old
    Barrel # 85-05-03 will be bottled at cask strength ~ 61% ABV
    Three more barrels will be bottled at 93 proof

One 5 year old barrel will be bottled at 90 proof and available only from K&L Wine Merchants in CA.
    This is something to look forward to.