Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    Went to a bar last night- Three Dots and a Dash. Focus is on classic tiki drinks. They've got an impressive drinks list, with proper TV and Donn recipes as well as nifty custom creations. I had a Jet Pilot and a Tropic of Thistle. The Tropic of Thistle was one of their drinks, and caught my eye because it had Arrack, Cynar, amaro Abano, and other curious ingredients. To top it all off, they've got a selection of over two hundred rums. It's a bit pricey, being a Chicago cocktail bar, but I plan on spending some time there to conduct further research.
    A noble quest indeed! I need to get to Chicago for a few days.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

As a result of the recent review from SKU and because I liked the Pineau des Charentes Vieux he reviewed a while back so well I sought out a couple of bottles of the Ron Navazos Palazzi even though they were a bit spendy. Very glad I did. In fact, I kinda wish I had bought more now! Needed a few minutes in the glass to "breath" but once it opened up it was superb. Wonderful sweet fruit notes from the sherry but not overwhelming in any way. As SKU noted the rum shows up towards the back of the palate although it is definitely not the predominant player here. Densely oily mouthfeel with a lovely finish that really lingers.

In filling up the box I also picked up a cheap rum from Madagascar just because. Haven't tried it yet and don't have high expectations although you never know. Just liked the novelty of having a rum from Madagascar. Didn't get any when I traveled there a few years ago so kind of a belated memento.

Ron Navazos Palazzi.JPGDzama rum.JPG
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Found a bottle of Guatemalan Zaya today, rather excited to try it as I have only heard good things about it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    Found a bottle of Guatemalan Zaya today, rather excited to try it as I have only heard good things about it.
    Stupid question, is that different from regular zaya? I really enjoy the regular stuff...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Stupid question, is that different from regular zaya? I really enjoy the regular stuff...
    When Diageo got their hands on Industrias Licoreras de Guatemala which was in Guatemala (obviously) and made Zaya, Ron Zacapa and Botran rums they made a number of changes to "increase production and efficiency". What that seems to have meant was make more at a lower cost and quality and charge more for it.

Zacapa went from a 23yo rum to a 23 year "solera" rum meaning that most of it was really made from much younger rums and only a little of the actual 23yo rum made it to the new bottles. To make room for more Zacapa the production for Zaya was completely eliminated from Guatemala and moved to Trinidad.

Many feel the original Guatemalan Zaya was a superior product but it is now a dusty. At the very least it is certainly different from what it once was. Would almost have to be given it is made and aged in a completely different location.

Many feel Zacapa suffered as well from the change from a full 23 yo rum to a solera style rum and seek out the original 23yo which is also a dusty now.

Guru

I believe Mike is drawing a distinction from the Guatemalan made Zaya before Diageo moved to using a blend of Trinidad rums made by Angostura.
    Last edited by squire; 11-20-2013 at 21:49.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Man, learning stuff is cool. Love this place.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    When Diageo got their hands on Industrias Licoreras de Guatemala which was in Guatemala (obviously) and made Zaya, Ron Zacapa and Botran rums they made a number of changes to "increase production and efficiency". What that seems to have meant was make more at a lower cost and quality and charge more for it.

Zacapa went from a 23yo rum to a 23 year "solera" rum meaning that most of it was really made from much younger rums and only a little of the actual 23yo rum made it to the new bottles. To make room for more Zacapa the production for Zaya was completely eliminated from Guatemala and moved to Trinidad.

Many feel the original Guatemalan Zaya was a superior product but it is now a dusty. At the very least it is certainly different from what it once was. Would almost have to be given it is made and aged in a completely different location.

Many feel Zacapa suffered as well from the change from a full 23 yo rum to a solera style rum and seek out the original 23yo which is also a dusty now.

Very cool, thanks for the detailed post and all the info! I guess I'm kinda glad I enjoy the current Zaya as it is, I find it a very tasty and reasonably priced rum. That being said, I will be on the lookout for a bottle or a sample of the original as it's always fun to try the older offerings.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post

Thanks for the info!! I was standing in the store racking my brain as I knew the bottle was different but had my iphone locked in a metal box in my car so I just gambled that it was the older bottle.. The store also had a 23 yr zacapa so I may have to stop by and see if it is the solera version or the true 23 yr. I do like a pour of Zaya neat on occasion so it will be a real treat to try the dusty bottle

Virtuoso

Rums are almost always blends of different ages and from different sources. Some of the Rum used to blend Zaya used to come from excess aged Zacapa stocks. Zacapa was winning awards and was acclaimed by Rum geeks but it was not widely known, distributed or promoted.
    When Diagio bought Zacapa they increased production and distribution. To support their push they stopped sales of bulk stock to other labels and Zaya had to scramble to come up with stock to continue production. Like Transtfaal noted they also began using much younger juice in the blend that went into the Zacapa bottles.

Remember that with Bourbon an age statement denotes the youngest whiskey in the bottle while in the Rum world an age statement only means that there is some juice that age in the bottle. And it could be a very very small amount. Even with that loose definition of an age statement Diagio had to change the designation from 23 years to 23 solara on Zacapa. In this case 23 solara is a completely meaningless designation that is an attempt to mislead.

The current Zaya (Trinidad) is sweeter and a little less complex than the previous version (Guatemala). The older version is dryer as you would expect from a product with older Rum dominant in the blend. The new version has a much better nose and is delicious, but it is different. It's blended from different Rums.

The difference between the Zacapa 23 anos (old version) and the 23 solara (new version) follows the same pattern except that the old version is superior in every regard. Sometimes subtly so but still a more desirable pour. In a blind test I was part of with 6 people we tasted three Zacapa Rums, 23 anos. 23 solara and the current XO. The old 23 anos was picked as best by every participant. Of course YMMV.