Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I wish I could spring for the Clement products but I think I'll see if I can sample the Grande Reserve 6 first before pulling the trigger on it, simply because of the price. Now, to find an easy bank to knock off...
    If you are coming to the Sampler I can see about bringing a bottle or two for you to take for a trial run if you like! Just be forewarned that you might get hooked!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    If you are coming to the Sampler I can see about bringing a bottle or two for you to take for a trial run if you like! Just be forewarned that you might get hooked!
    Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I will not be attending the Sampler due to other family commitments. (In-laws visiting for TWO WEEKS. Ugh!)
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I will not be attending the Sampler due to other family commitments. (In-laws visiting for TWO WEEKS. Ugh!)
    Definitely sounds like you will need a bottle or three just to get through the visit!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Now that's an idea for a new thread, In-Law whisky.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Definitely sounds like you will need a bottle or three just to get through the visit!
    You got that right, brother. By the end of week one the stress is so great that I'm usually holed up in my music room each night after dinner, blasting tunes and drinking with both hands until I fall asleep in my recliner, thereby providing further proof to the in-laws that I'm nothing more than an Irish-American lush. (They are stuffy, upper class English snobs descended from aristocrats, so I relish playing up the role of the Irish New Yorker who swears too much and loves a drink, especially when they start in with the "Look at him with all this whiskey--tsk, tsk" stuff. Richard Harris couldn't have played the part better. Such fun!)
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Apprentice

Currently enjoying a pour of Foursquare spiced rum which I picked up on the weekend. It's more subtly spiced than something like Captain Morgan and balanced more towards clove and nutmeg rather than massive vanilla. It's actually a pleasant enough sipper, which I was not expecting. I wouldn't be surprised if there are rums out there which are actually more heavily spiced and doctored despite not making mention of that fact anywhere; Diplomatico Reserva is one that I've had (and disliked) before which springs to mind.

Guru

Okay, gents. My mail-order shipment of rum arrived on Thursday and I think I've got a nice little selection going: Appleton Estate 12, Bacardi 8, Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva, Mount Gay XO, El Dorado 12, El Dorado 15, Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva 15, Flor De Cana 12, Barbancourt 5 Star, Barbancourt 15 and Ron Zacapa Centenario 15. My gateway was the Appleton 12 which I picked up locally and really enjoy--well rounded stuff that's not too sweet and hits all the bases nicely. Next up was the Bacardi 8 which surpassed my expectations, as Squire and the knowledgeable store clerk said it would. At $19 it's hard to beat and will no doubt make a nice mixer as well when the weather warms up. The next night I opened the Mount Gay XO which I found to be very solid, perhaps a tad behind the Appleton to my tastes but definitely a bottle that I'm happy to have bought. In fact, when I returned for a second snifter the following night I was even more impressed with it, so I'm feeling pretty good batting 3 for 3. Last night I was really excited to open the Barbancourt 5 Star and couldn't believe the excellent nose on it when I poured it into a Glencairn. Even more impressive was the long peppery finish--by far the longest that I've sampled up to this point. But there was something odd lurking deep within the flavor profile that I couldn't quite put my finger on--an "off" note that I found minorly unsettling, even after a few additional sips. I chalked it up to one of "those nights" when nothing tastes quite right. (You know the ones, when even your favorites taste off for some reason and you move on to something else that hits the spot a little better.) Later in the evening I happened upon a rum review site and a discussion about Barbancourt 5 Star in which one contributor, who loves the stuff and has been drinking B5S for years, had a similar experience, not once but twice with two separate bottles that he purchased post-earthquake. He apparently detected a funky off flavor that he likened to "damp deck shoes that have been worn for years without socks." Like the reviewer, I wondered perhaps if I had scored a sub-par bottle, but I have nothing to compare it to so I'm unable to really judge it properly. Thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by unclebunk; 04-06-2014 at 17:10.

Guru

Last night I was really excited to open the Barbancourt 5 Star and couldn't believe the excellent nose on it when I poured it into a Glencairn. Even more impressive was the long peppery finish--by far the longest that I've sampled up to this point. But there was something odd lurking deep within the flavor profile that I couldn't quite put my finger on--an "off" note that I found minorly unsettling, even after a few additional sips. I chalked it up to one of "those nights" when nothing tastes quite right. (You know the ones, when even your favorites taste off for some reason and you move on to something else that hits the spot a little better.) Later in the evening I happened upon a rum review site and a discussion about Barbancourt 5 Star in which one contributor, who loves the stuff and has been drinking B5S for years, had a similar experience, not once but twice with two separate bottles that he purchased post-earthquake. He apparently detected a funky off flavor that he likened to "damp deck shoes that have been worn for years without socks." Like the reviewer, I wondered perhaps if I had scored a sub-par bottle, but I have nothing to compare it to so I'm unable to really judge it properly. Thoughts anyone?
    Quite the haul!

Entirely possible with the Barbancourt. Haiti was hit hard by the earthquake and maybe the warehouses were damaged and it affected the barrel aging. Remember that as an 8yo the rum itself was distilled and barreled long before the earthquake. But maybe they lost some barrels and they added rum they might not otherwise have used to make up the deficit. Who knows with Haiti. Under the best of times the country is a complete disaster!

Also as an agricole it might tend to have a more vegetal taste in general and this batch just had more of it although it generally isn't as prominent as it is in younger Martinique agricoles. The 5 star is good for mixing as well so don't give up on it with one bottle. Try again or try some at a local bar if they have it before you decide.

Guru

Quite the haul!

Entirely possible with the Barbancourt. Haiti was hit hard by the earthquake and maybe the warehouses were damaged and it affected the barrel aging. Remember that as an 8yo the rum itself was distilled and barreled long before the earthquake. But maybe they lost some barrels and they added rum they might not otherwise have used to make up the deficit. Who knows with Haiti. Under the best of times the country is a complete disaster!

Also as an agricole it might tend to have a more vegetal taste in general and this batch just had more of it although it generally isn't as prominent as it is in younger Martinique agricoles. The 5 star is good for mixing as well so don't give up on it with one bottle. Try again or try some at a local bar if they have it before you decide.
    I enjoyed those first few pours of Appleton 12 so much that I figured I'd jump in with both feet, so I went with a range of things that you guys recommended and one or two others that I read about elsewhere which should hold me for quite a while, though I still want to find a Clement product. I haven't written off the Barbancourt 5 Star by any means but thought something was amiss when my first impression didn't match up well with the various tasting notes I had seen on-line. The off note I was picking up didn't really come across as vegetal to me, but had more of a metallic (iron?) quality to it, for lack of a better term, with a subtle dank bitterness that was mildly off-putting. But I'll revisit the bottle over the next few days to see if it tastes differently to me because my taste buds may simply have been out of whack that night which happens every so often. As you suggested, it may be worth seeking out another sample at a bar to see if my bottle tastes the same. Being a fan of a wide range of tequilas, I've found that I actually like some brands that are considered quite grassy/vegetal in character, so I don't think that's the culprit in this case. We shall see!
    Last edited by unclebunk; 04-07-2014 at 10:12.

Virtuoso

That's a really great selection of Rums Uncle. Plenty to explore in that group for sure, your in for some delightful evenings sampling those. Anxious to hear more of your impressions as you work your way through them.

Surprised that Zacapa 15 is still available, I thought it had been discontinued a few years ago. A very different pour than the Zacapa 23 solara if I recall correctly.