Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I think most, if not all, of the Plantations are cognac barrel finished. It is their signature style. But they also tend to have a fair amount of extra sugar added so they tend to be on the sweet side. I like rum, I like cognac cask finishes and I like sugar so not really a problem for me!
    I actually wouldn't have thought that I would like any spirit that is quite so sweet, yet my friends and I took to it right away. There is an almost butterscotch quality to it that we all really dug and even my wife liked it, though she turned it into a hot buttered rum drink with premium French vanilla ice cream that was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Re: Rum Forum

I bought an A.D. Rattray bottled 15 year old Caroni rum yesterday. This guy tastes like an olive smoothie. I'm serious, it's like green olive puree mixed in olive oil. Weeeeird.

Virtuoso

Picked up an El Dorado 12 yr for $26. There was an El Dorado Port Mourant Single Barrel next to it for $45, so an impulse buy to compare and maybe mix/mingle ...
    Mark

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Picked up an El Dorado 12 yr for $26. There was an El Dorado Port Mourant Single Barrel next to it for $45, so an impulse buy to compare and maybe mix/mingle ...
    That's a great buy for the single barrel. I've only seen those once (there are three) and they were about $80. Let us know how it tastes.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bearmark View Post
    That's a great buy for the single barrel. I've only seen those once (there are three) and they were about $80. Let us know how it tastes.
    Will do - It was the last one on the shelf, so I don't know if they were looking to move it out. From what I've read it is a bit woody with a bitter finish, but I couldn't pass up a wooden pot still product! I figure at worse it can be used to punch up the 12 year when needed ...
    Mark

Guru

They seem to be all over the map. I have seen them under $50 but more often closer to the $75-80 range. Party Source has the ICBU currently for $75.99 but the PM and EHP are a lot more for some reason at a pretty pricey $87.99. Can't recall if they were available for tasting in the new "liquor library" where you try different bottles by the drink. I tried the new Duncan Taylor rums this weekend and ended up with the 1991 Trinidad and the 1986 Barbados bottles.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Just opened it and poured a small sample - since these are a bit expensive I wanted to get a quick note out - but there seems to be a very prominent acetone/nail polish remover component in the nose, palate and finish. I'm going to give it some air time, but ... proceed with caution! Try-before-buy, even if you find at such a "good" price as I did. The palate is surprisingly light bodied given the wooden pot still, but I suppose that is more about my expectations since I was so curious as to what such a pot would be like. It is watered to 80 proof (thankfully, given this acetone note).

This is a single barrel product, so perhaps the store where I purchased it drastically discounted to move it out based on other negative feedback from customers. To that end, I didn't get the woody/bitter finish that I've seen in other online reviews, so I don't want to over-rotate especially since this has only been in the glass for 30 minutes or so after opening it.

I've read that this is a primary component in the El Dorado 15 which I haven't tried, but I love the El Dorado 12 (about $26-$27 a bottle). I may just blend this away in subsequent El Dorado 12's - if it doesn't change, it might take quite a few!

I'll give it a few weeks and post if it settles down into something less angular - there is a bit of a spirity quality, so I don't know how old this is - the El Dorado 12 is much more rounded and balanced in comparison.
    Mark

Apprentice

Demerara rums aren't easy to come by in Australia, so I've only ever tried one, a bottle of El Dorado 12 which I imported from the UK last year. I don't know if it's just me, but I found that acetone/nail polisher remover note sutton mentioned to be very prominent even with the ED12. It's part of the reason that the bottle is still 80% full (the big sweetness being the other factor). If it's even more noticeable in the ED15 or the SB's, I'm glad I didn't go with them. Is it a common feature of the Demerara rums?

Virtuoso

A week later and the acetone notes in the Port Mourant El Dorado SB have blown off to a degree, but are still there on the nose and more importantly on the palate. Not as obtrusive, but still a primary flavor/aroma component.

The mouthfeel on this bottle is still on the lean side, with some spirity/pepper notes and short on the finish. I think this is the biggest surprise for me with this bottle given other online reviews, however, what others have thought to be very woody/tannic just may not be to someone more used to bourbon.

Blended 50:50 with El Dorado 12 does make an interesting sipper - the acetone notes are significantly tamped down and now add an interesting complexity, the sweetness in the ED12 is much reduced, the mouthfeel is medium to full and the finish has the molasses sweetness but not as heavy as the ED12 on its own.

Again, the El Dorado PM is a single barrel, so YMMV - I'll see if the bottle continues to evolve over time with more head space in the bottle. For me, still not a buy at $75-$80.
    Mark

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Again, the El Dorado PM is a single barrel, so YMMV - I'll see if the bottle continues to evolve over time with more head space in the bottle. For me, still not a buy at $75-$80.
    I seem to recall reading somewhere (but can't find it now) that these bottles, despite proudly proclaiming themselves to be single barrel on the label, aren't a true single barrel as we think of it but rather a small batch "single still" product. Even the El Dorado website describes it as a small batch rum despite putting single barrel prominently on the label.

http://theeldoradorum.com/our-portfo...singlebarrelpm

A rare single-distillate heritage rum linked to the Port Mourant Estate, one of the oldest in the world. PM was the signature marque used to identify rums from this estate, founded in 1732. Their original Double Wooden Pot Still, the only one of its kind operating in the world today, continues to be used to produce this small batch El Dorado heritage rum.
    It is rum so you have to take anything they say with a grain of sugar...

I need to try mine out again and see if I get the acetone note you mention. I don't recall it as being prominent in the past.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum