Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Virtuoso

Re: Rum Forum

It has certainly calmed down since first opened ... but is still there especially on the palate, not as obvious on the nose but more in the background. Would be interested in reading your notes, especially related to mouthfeel and finish.
    Mark

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Even the El Dorado website describes it as a small batch rum despite putting single barrel prominently on the label.
    Perhaps they mean the big single barrel they mix it all up in.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

First time I have seen the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva available here so I picked up a bottle for $48 CND. Really good rum at this price (comparisons; Ron Zacapa 23yr solera is $80 and El Dorado 15yr is $60)

Connoisseur

The Diplomatico Reservas are great value. I used to drink them a lot (when I wasn't awash in opened bourbon bottles!). Sort of a buttery caramel taste instead of straight caramel like the Zacapa 23, or the honey of the Zacapa 15.

tbt

Guru

I've been drinking my new bottle of Diplomatica Reserva these last few days and loving it. Can't wait to try the Exclusiva that I also picked up, but have been trying to familiarize myself with the 8 year old first. As much as I enjoyed the Flor de Cana 7 and Ron Abuela 7, I have to give the edge to the DR which sadly has dropped the age statement. (My brother preferred the Abuela 7 which really is quite good too.)
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    It has certainly calmed down since first opened ... but is still there especially on the palate, not as obvious on the nose but more in the background. Would be interested in reading your notes, especially related to mouthfeel and finish.
    Explored the three single still bottles a bit this weekend and I think I appreciate the nail polish notes you describe but I found them subtle at best. Then again these bottles have been open at least 6 months. Was glad I checked them out because the cork on one seems to be drying out and doesn't have the greatest seal so I need to identify a replacement of some sort.

I think the PM had the most of the acetone nose. The EHP, which had the dicey cork, was the sweetest of the three on the nose as well as the palate. It did not appear to be adversely impacted by the cork, at least so far. I don't get the acetone note on the palate or if I do it is a taste that I find appealing. It is perhaps the best balanced to me of the three. The ICBU is definitely the lightest and driest of the three. I don't know if or how much sugar gets added to these (the color looks like it could be naturally or perhaps only slightly altered to make them look fairly similar). I also find the ICBU to have the lightest mouthfeel and texture while the other two seem to have a moderate, almost buttery quality to them that are fairly similar.

Probably also worth noting the PM is the only one of the three that is a pot still rum and likely has more of that over ripe fruit quality that I would associate with an "acetone" quality.

I fully confess to being a fan so I could easily be biased and have not ever had them blind or intentionally compared them directly against any other rums. There certainly are not the lovely whiskey like character of the Clement single casks but they are still very enjoyable to me.

I still think about trying to do some blending of the three but just never seem to get around to it.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 05-11-2014 at 12:39.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Anybody have any recommendations on good quality rums? I'm not the biggest fan of the Zacapa 23 that I tried. I saw an El Dorado 21 that caught my interest. Also saw a 25 year old as well. Big difference in price between the two though.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

El Dorado, 12, 15 or 21 are all excellent, deep-flavored rums that bespeak the true taste of old Caribbean rum. They leave in the rubbery chemical notes to be slowly altered by the long slumber in cask. Result: what true rum is all about. The five year is very good too but it has a more neutral taste, clearly angled to the column still side of the palate.

I am not a fan of the Diplomatico line mentioned. Too bland.

I just bought a bottle of Screech, the famous (in Canada) rum bottled in Newfoundland from unspecified Caribbean stocks. Excellent rum! Rich-coloured and tasting with a pleasing combination of rum oils, sweet caramel and bourbon barrel notes. I would be surprised if the caramel flask didn't make a telling contribution to this blend, but I'm good with it. The only thing that holds it back from being great is the somewhat short finish, but hey it's only $26.00 (CDN).

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgemu1 View Post
    Anybody have any recommendations on good quality rums? I'm not the biggest fan of the Zacapa 23 that I tried. I saw an El Dorado 21 that caught my interest. Also saw a 25 year old as well. Big difference in price between the two though.
    My experience with rum is limited but I would suggest the El Dorado 15. I love the 21 but for about half the price I think the 15 is a great deal.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    El Dorado, 12, 15 or 21 are all excellent, deep-flavored rums that bespeak the true taste of old Caribbean rum. They leave in the rubbery chemical notes to be slowly altered by the long slumber in cask. Result: what true rum is all about. The five year is very good too but it has a more neutral taste, clearly angled to the column still side of the palate.

I am not a fan of the Diplomatico line mentioned. Too bland.
    I find Diplomatico's charms more subtle and nuanced than some of the other rums I've recently purchased but certainly far from bland, at least to my tastes. But for those who are seeking a bolder drink, I would agree that you can't go wrong with Eldorado 12 which is a truly fabulous spirit (and affordably priced too!). Looking forward to trying Diplomatico's and Eldorado's big brothers in the not-too-distant future.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet