Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 453

Thread: Rum Forum

  1. #411
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,387

    Re: Rum Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgemu1 View Post
    Anybody have any recommendations on good quality rums? I'm not the biggest fan of the Zacapa 23 that I tried. I saw an El Dorado 21 that caught my interest. Also saw a 25 year old as well. Big difference in price between the two though.
    Zacapa 23 and ElDorado 12, 15, 21, 25 are all dark sweet Rums. So if the Zacapa isn't in your wheel house I wouldn't expect the ElDos to be a huge hit either. Note that the ElDorado line gets dryer and a little less sweet the older the age statement so if any of them are going to work for you it will most likely be the 21. The 25 is IMHO a very good Rum but at that price you should get a taste first.

    You might want to try a completely different style. Perhaps one of the Rums with a more Whiskey like character will be a better fit. Mount Gay XO or OLd Cask and Pussers blue or red label come to mind.

    IN addition to the two mentioned above here are some quality Rums that represent different styles;
    Barbancourt 4 star and 15yr
    Appelton 12 ans 21yr
    English Harbour 10yr
    Bacardi 8
    Zafra 21
    Clement 10yr and Curvee Homere
    Plantation Panama Rum
    Matusalem Gran Reserva or 15yr

    There are also two that were supposedly designed as full bodied mixers but are very interesting sipped neat if your taste runs toward the bold side. Scarlet Ibis and Smith and Cross traditional Jamaican Rum. If they are too bold on their own they really do make killer mixers.

    There are plenty of more esoteric and obscure rums that are good quality pours but the list above should get you started.

  2. #412
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sutton, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,218

    Re: Rum Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Probably also worth noting the PM is the only one of the three that is a pot still rum and likely has more of that over ripe fruit quality that I would associate with an "acetone" quality.
    Funny you mention the cork - mine completely crumbled when I opened it; luckily most of it stayed in my hand.

    Good point on the over-ripe fruit note - I'll keep that in mind next time around. I've had about 25% of the bottle and the last pour was not as dominated by those notes, but the finish was still a bit lacking to me. I'd love to know how old these single still bottlings are (apologies for saying single barrel earlier).

    Will try again in another week or so ... also might look out for one of those EHPs, but was also thinking of the 15 or 21 next or possibly exploring a Jamaican style.
    Mark

  3. #413
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,576

    Re: Rum Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Funny you mention the cork - mine completely crumbled when I opened it; luckily most of it stayed in my hand.

    Good point on the over-ripe fruit note - I'll keep that in mind next time around. I've had about 25% of the bottle and the last pour was not as dominated by those notes, but the finish was still a bit lacking to me. I'd love to know how old these single still bottlings are (apologies for saying single barrel earlier).

    Will try again in another week or so ... also might look out for one of those EHPs, but was also thinking of the 15 or 21 next or possibly exploring a Jamaican style.
    No need to apologize for calling them Single Barrel since that is what it says in big letters on the label! I am just not fully convinced that is what they are. But I have no definitive proof.

    Buying the EHP, PM and ICBU is really more for the experience. While they are interesting rums that can potentially help you understand how the various El Dorado rums are created they can certainly be a bit funky in their own right. I enjoy them for that potential insight. I also hope they are a bit more "natural" with less sugar and coloring added. I suppose it is unrealistic to think they are completely free of either of those but the 12, 15 and even the 21 appear to have a fairly significant amount of sweetness added that I don't find to be as pronounced in these single still/barrel rums.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  4. #414
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Capital City of the South
    Posts
    270

    Re: Rum Forum

    With summer kicking off this weekend and spending as much as possible at the beach I'm thinking of revisiting rum, something I haven't had much of the last two years while I really got into bourbon/rye.

    I'm wondering if you all could point me in the direction of something I might like.

    I tend to prefer higher proof stuff in the bourbon/rye world, usually stuff under 100 doesn't do much for me and under 90 is pretty much always disappointing. I enjoy HH bonded stuff quite a bit, and 4RSB stuff is usually great. I enjoy the kick of OGD114 and Stagg Jr quite a bit. On the rye side I'm a big fan of Rittenhouse and though I've only had one bottle of the Jefferson 10 year I thought it was really nice. Occasionally I'll go for something as woody as Elijah Craig 12 year, but anything more than that tends to turn turn me off.

    So I guess looking at that higher proof, generally higher rye, and in the moderate age category is really in my wheelhouse. I tend to drink neat, but like most I'll toss in a couple ice cubes to chill down things while hanging out on the dock.

    In the rum world I've enjoyed Appleton, and have a bottle of it down at the inlaws place on the coast. Coworker gave me a bottle of Zafra 21 last Christmas and I'll have a glass of that from time to time, decent but doesn't keep me coming back.

    Given all that, is there any rum that you'd suggest I try? Looking at costs I don't think have any worries in that department, don't want to break the bank but it looks like some good stuff can be had reasonably priced.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by ramblinman; 05-22-2014 at 14:44.

  5. #415
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,576

    Re: Rum Forum

    Finding higher proof stuff in the rum world is sometimes a bit challenging unless you can find some independent bottlers which are not typically readily available on the shelf.

    Balcones Rumble Cask Strength is fun if not strictly a rum. But it is not easy to find either. Plantation Dark Overproof is intended more as a tiki mixer at 146 proof but is a decent sipper with a touch of water. Smith & Cross is 114 pf but pretty funky. I think whiskey drinkers would do well with the Rhum agricoles like Clement, Neisson and Barbancourt but most of those are under 100 proof. Clement for example is typically 88 pf for most bottlings. Maybe try Barbancourt 5 star (8yo) and see how that suits you. Generally easy to find and not as expensive as some of the Martinique rhums.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  6. #416
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Capital City of the South
    Posts
    270

    Re: Rum Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Finding higher proof stuff in the rum world is sometimes a bit challenging unless you can find some independent bottlers which are not typically readily available on the shelf.

    Balcones Rumble Cask Strength is fun if not strictly a rum. But it is not easy to find either. Plantation Dark Overproof is intended more as a tiki mixer at 146 proof but is a decent sipper with a touch of water. Smith & Cross is 114 pf but pretty funky. I think whiskey drinkers would do well with the Rhum agricoles like Clement, Neisson and Barbancourt but most of those are under 100 proof. Clement for example is typically 88 pf for most bottlings. Maybe try Barbancourt 5 star (8yo) and see how that suits you. Generally easy to find and not as expensive as some of the Martinique rhums.
    Thanks for the insight. Looks like I might be out of luck on the proof side, but I'm willing to branch out a bit and sample as long as we're close to 90 .

  7. #417
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,387

    Re: Rum Forum

    Scarlet Ibis, Mount Gay XO and Pussers Blue Label will all give you some of the whiskey kick while retaining the Rum notes. Like tanstaafl noted the Cross and Blackwell is a funky monkey but will be a ride that will remind you of a young barrel strength whiskey.

  8. #418
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,576

    Re: Rum Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Thanks for the insight. Looks like I might be out of luck on the proof side, but I'm willing to branch out a bit and sample as long as we're close to 90 .
    Clement 10 yo or Cuvee Homere might be your cup of tea then at 88 proof. But neither are cheap (Homere is usually $100 plus, the 10 more like $70) and they aren't ones you will likely find in just any store. May have to hunt a bit. The Barbancourt is 86 pf I think and usually pretty easy to find. Not quite as good as Clement in my mind but certainly a better QPR!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  9. #419
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,576

    Re: Rum Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Scarlet Ibis, Mount Gay XO and Pussers Blue Label will all give you some of the whiskey kick while retaining the Rum notes. Like tanstaafl noted the Cross and Blackwell is a funky monkey but will be a ride that will remind you of a young barrel strength whiskey.
    Ah yes, Mount Gay XO is another nice option to consider and also at 86 pf for around $50 or so. Some folks seem to prefer the Mount Gay 1703 which I think is a good bit more costly and doesn't offer enough difference for the extra cost to me.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  10. #420
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Capital City of the South
    Posts
    270

    Rum Forum

    Thank you gentlemen, just grabbed a bottle of the Barbancourt 8 yr, looking forward to trying it out.

    They had a bottle of the 15-year-old that I almost grabbed but decided I would try the eight first
    Last edited by ramblinman; 05-22-2014 at 16:05.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. New to the forum
    By Yellowjacket in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 15:18
  2. New to the forum...
    By Iluvanejos in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 12:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top