Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

Out on a raid to celebrate the holiday and stumbled across a couple of deals I couldn't pass up. Store had the El Dorado 15 and 21 at what looked to be more like the original 2012/early 2013 prices as best I could tell. Have a few of the ED15 since it is a favorite but just couldn't let the ED21 pass at $70 plus a case discount!

El Dorado rum.JPG

Then I saw a Clement XO for $80 plus the discount and decided I should probably invite that one to come home with me as well and join the rest of its Clement brethren. That one is usually more like $125 and up when I see it at all. Heck, I came close to getting two! I still might...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Just got finished reading through the thread. I've never been much of a rum drinker. I did enjoy the cask strength rum at Thomas Tew in RI a few years ago, but they only sell the 80 proof in bottles. I bought a bottle, but it has mostly lingered on the shelf, passed up for more interesting pours. A friend brought back a bottle of (standard 7 yo) Old Monk from India, which is a huge butterscotch bomb. It's a decent pour neat and works well in Gary Regan's mai tai recipe (1 oz dark rum, 1 oz light, 1 oz lime juice, 3/4 oz orgeat, 1/2 oz orange liqueur). What do people think of Old Monk? I've heard that it's available in Canada to some extent, but haven't really searched it out. Does anyone know what's added to it?

I'm headed down to burgers and beers at TPS on Thursday and plan to sample some of their rums at their tasting bar. Currently thinking about picking up the El Dorado 12 and possibly the 10 year Clement, but the tasting might talk me into different bottles (depending on what they're still pouring).

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beer&Bourbon View Post
    Just got finished reading through the thread. I've never been much of a rum drinker. I did enjoy the cask strength rum at Thomas Tew in RI a few years ago, but they only sell the 80 proof in bottles. I bought a bottle, but it has mostly lingered on the shelf, passed up for more interesting pours. A friend brought back a bottle of (standard 7 yo) Old Monk from India, which is a huge butterscotch bomb. It's a decent pour neat and works well in Gary Regan's mai tai recipe (1 oz dark rum, 1 oz light, 1 oz lime juice, 3/4 oz orgeat, 1/2 oz orange liqueur). What do people think of Old Monk? I've heard that it's available in Canada to some extent, but haven't really searched it out. Does anyone know what's added to it?

I'm headed down to burgers and beers at TPS on Thursday and plan to sample some of their rums at their tasting bar. Currently thinking about picking up the El Dorado 12 and possibly the 10 year Clement, but the tasting might talk me into different bottles (depending on what they're still pouring).
    I am not a big fan of a generic recipe like Regan’s above. I tend to defer to Beach Bum Berry who recommends the Trader Vic version of the Mai Tai (Donn the Beachcomber had a slightly different version earlier but the Trader Vic one seems to work better). Problem is Vic’s Mai Tai was built around a distinctive 17yo rum from Wray & Nephew that doesn’t exist anymore. Most people try to recreate it using a combination of an aged Rhum agricole and a solid Jamaican rum. The fairly classic formula is:

1 ounce each:
    Fresh lime juice – I tend to use ½ to ¾ oz
    Rhum Clément VSOP Martinique rum
    Appleton Estate 12yo Jamaican rum – I like to use Smith & Cross instead
    1/2 ounce orange Curacao – Clement Creole Shrubb is a great substitute
    1/4 ounce each orgeat syrup and sugar syrup.

Add at least 2 cups of crushed ice, then shake well for around 10 seconds. Pour unstrained into a double old-fashioned glass. Sink your spent lime shell in the drink (the classic Mai Tai garnish), and garnish with a mint sprig.

I have seen many rums used in creating a Mai Tai, including more than 2 at a time. Heck, half the fun is finding what works best for you!

Old Monk Rum is OK but like many rums it is probably a bit of a cocktail in a bottle with added coloring, sugar and perhaps other flavors (I have no definitive details). It has a strong caramel flavor to me. The rules for spirits in India are about as loose as they are in the Caribbean!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I am not a big fan of a generic recipe like Regan’s above. I tend to defer to Beach Bum Berry who recommends the Trader Vic version of the Mai Tai (Donn the Beachcomber had a slightly different version earlier but the Trader Vic one seems to work better). Problem is Vic’s Mai Tai was built around a distinctive 17yo rum from Wray & Nephew that doesn’t exist anymore. Most people try to recreate it using a combination of an aged Rhum agricole and a solid Jamaican rum. The fairly classic formula is:

1 ounce each:
    Fresh lime juice – I tend to use ½ to ¾ oz
    Rhum Clément VSOP Martinique rum
    Appleton Estate 12yo Jamaican rum – I like to use Smith & Cross instead
    1/2 ounce orange Curacao – Clement Creole Shrubb is a great substitute
    1/4 ounce each orgeat syrup and sugar syrup.

Add at least 2 cups of crushed ice, then shake well for around 10 seconds. Pour unstrained into a double old-fashioned glass. Sink your spent lime shell in the drink (the classic Mai Tai garnish), and garnish with a mint sprig.

I have seen many rums used in creating a Mai Tai, including more than 2 at a time. Heck, half the fun is finding what works best for you!

Old Monk Rum is OK but like many rums it is probably a bit of a cocktail in a bottle with added coloring, sugar and perhaps other flavors (I have no definitive details). It has a strong caramel flavor to me. The rules for spirits in India are about as loose as they are in the Caribbean!
    Thanks! Regan does provide the original recipe in his book, but adds his own recipe since the ingredients aren't available. I'll try your recipe when I pick up some more appropriate rums. Like I said, I'm quite new to the spirit so I don't currently have a lot of choices to play with.

I plan to try the Clement (if they have it in their spirits library). The Clement 10 year, El Dorado 12, and Mount Gay XO are at the top of my list to purchase. I hope to try the Duncan Taylor rums as well (if they'll available in their library). Is there anything that Party Source carries that you'd recommend more than those that I've chosen - for some neat sipping and (more frequently) cocktails? Cheers!

Guru

Thanks! Regan does provide the original recipe in his book, but adds his own recipe since the ingredients aren't available. I'll try your recipe when I pick up some more appropriate rums. Like I said, I'm quite new to the spirit so I don't currently have a lot of choices to play with.

I plan to try the Clement (if they have it in their spirits library). The Clement 10 year, El Dorado 12, and Mount Gay XO are at the top of my list to purchase. I hope to try the Duncan Taylor rums as well (if they'll available in their library). Is there anything that Party Source carries that you'd recommend more than those that I've chosen - for some neat sipping and (more frequently) cocktails? Cheers!
    I have the three you noted and have a couple of the Duncan Taylor single barrels as well (1986 and 1991 vintages). I found the 1991 to be a bit disappointing. They also had a Mt Gay 12yo and a 12yo from Jamaica that I didn't try.

As to your sipping preference you have to build your own palate like whiskey I suppose and decide if you like drier versus sweeter rums. Appleton Extra 12yo is a good sipper and mixer. I think Lemon Hart 151 is a requirement for tiki drinks! Zaya is a nice drier 21yo sipping rum from Panama that can also be mixed as well. Some of the Plantation rums are niced and a bit sweeter since they are finished in Cognac casks. I think the Barbados is generally pretty good basic rum. Not sure which of these TPS has but probably most of them. Smith & cross is not one i would sip but it is a great mixing rum for a bit of funk and extra proof in a cocktail. Scarlet Ibis is also good in a similar way. Both were created with mixing in mind.

Enthusiast

Out on a raid to celebrate the holiday and stumbled across a couple of deals I couldn't pass up. Store had the El Dorado 15 and 21 at what looked to be more like the original 2012/early 2013 prices as best I could tell. Have a few of the ED15 since it is a favorite but just couldn't let the ED21 pass at $70 plus a case discount!

El Dorado rum.JPG

Then I saw a Clement XO for $80 plus the discount and decided I should probably invite that one to come home with me as well and join the rest of its Clement brethren. That one is usually more like $125 and up when I see it at all. Heck, I came close to getting two! I still might...

Bruce, I heard your bottle count was getting a little low. Glad to see the DR is being proactive about remedying the situation. Congrats.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wmpevans View Post
    Bruce, I heard your bottle count was getting a little low. Glad to see the DR is being proactive about remedying the situation. Congrats.
    Too much is never enough!

Advanced Taster

Smith & cross is not one i would sip but it is a great mixing rum for a bit of funk and extra proof in a cocktail. Scarlet Ibis is also good in a similar way. Both were created with mixing in mind.
    I'd like to try the Smith and Cross in a cocktail before making a decision. My wife and I tried the S&C, the Duncan Taylor 1986, Clement 10 year, Clement white rum, and Pampero at the tasting bar. She hated the pot still ones (S&C, Duncan Taylor), was ok with the Clement, and really enjoyed the Pampero. I wasn't a big fan of the pot still ones either, but really enjoyed the Clement 10 year; I'll certainly pick that up at some point, but couldn't commit to the $75 last night. I ended up grabbing the Pampero for her and the Appleton 12 year for me. Just gauging how much we actually consume them in comparison to whiskey before diving in...

Guru

I'd like to try the Smith and Cross in a cocktail before making a decision. My wife and I tried the S&C, the Duncan Taylor 1986, Clement 10 year, Clement white rum, and Pampero at the tasting bar. She hated the pot still ones (S&C, Duncan Taylor), was ok with the Clement, and really enjoyed the Pampero. I wasn't a big fan of the pot still ones either, but really enjoyed the Clement 10 year; I'll certainly pick that up at some point, but couldn't commit to the $75 last night. I ended up grabbing the Pampero for her and the Appleton 12 year for me. Just gauging how much we actually consume them in comparison to whiskey before diving in...
    Pampero is certainly the sweeter and easiest (less complex perhaps) drinking of the bunch. I prefer rums more along the Clement 10 line. The pot still rums can take a bit to get used to. The S&C isn't my favorite for drinking neat either as it was made to put the emphasis on the funkiness.

That said Appleton is a blend of pot still and column still rum that carries a decent amount of pot still flavor with it to me.

Advanced Taster

Performed a little hunting today and ran across a few bottles of CJ Wray dry rum (80 pf). Anyone familiar with this? I'd like to think it's just dilute Wray & Nephew Overproof but even if not, I'm willing to part with fifteen dollars and roll the dice on a seemingly discontinued offering from a solid distillery.