Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: New Colonel E.H. Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    I guess that would be this one. I'm kind of disappointed it's only going to be 7 years old. I suppose it's essentially barrel proof Buffalo Trace, which is something I'd like to try, but not for nearly 4 times the price of regular Buffalo Trace.
    Next time you're at Jack Rose, try the Willett Matinee and French Connection. The Matinee is almost certainly BT. I can't tell about the French Connection but I believe it to be.

Guru

I'm sorry, but screw this. 7 y/o for $70? Really? It's basically a bourbon version of Handy which is already the worst bargain in American whiskey. I would much rather get a couple bottles of a good retailer bottling of Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare than this.

"The rye recipe version of Van Winkle", my pale white ass! If anyone's keeping score, I'm back in the BT haters club.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I'm sorry, but screw this.
    I love you! Thanks for putting this all in perspective!

Still, I've tasted it and the proof is in the pudding. I'm a buyer.
    Last edited by wadewood; 05-10-2012 at 18:57.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    I love you! Thanks for all in perspective!
    You know I love you too, Wade. I may have been a bit tipsy when that mini-rant was posted. Still, 7 years old seems a little on the young side. Doesn't inspire confidence in me for the future of the this line. Of course, this is all without having tasted the stuff.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

I'm sorry, but screw this. 7 y/o for $70? Really? It's basically a bourbon version of Handy which is already the worst bargain in American whiskey. I would much rather get a couple bottles of a good retailer bottling of Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare than this.

"The rye recipe version of Van Winkle", my pale white ass! If anyone's keeping score, I'm back in the BT haters club.
    Any post that can be quoted "my pale white ass" has my interest. So much for honoring the "Bottled in bond" guy with a barrel strength release. We shall see. so far in my opinion they have had 2 hits with one miss. And the two hits have been overpriced by 8 bucks a bottle
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Connoisseur

You know I love you too, Wade. I may have been a bit tipsy when that mini-rant was posted. Still, 7 years old seems a little on the young side. Doesn't inspire confidence in me for the future of the this line. Of course, this is all without having tasted the stuff.
    Josh, you must have missed the current BT memo,

" if it tastes good, sell it".

Virtuoso

I confess to being a bit confused by the branding here. When it appeared that they were going to try to replicate the original sour mash recipe, this made sense and was intriguing since it was attempting to re-produce a bit of bourbon history.

Then there was a single barrel that was just the rye-recipe bourbon, perhaps some very good barrels hand-selected, but something different from the original.

Then the "tornado" release - seemed a bit of a gimic; not sure how it related to the Colonel's legacy.

Now this .... other than using his name, exactly what is this brand supposed to be? Just any very-good to great barrels they happen to come across that don't fit neatly into any of the other brands?
    Mark

Virtuoso

Sounds exactly like that, Sutton. A place to dump their really good stuff that doesn't hit their other profiles, while at the same time raising their visibility.

The pricing is ridiculous, though. Sounds like they won't have any trouble selling it, though.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Sounds exactly like that, Sutton. A place to dump their really good stuff that doesn't hit their other profiles, while at the same time raising their visibility.

The pricing is ridiculous, though. Sounds like they won't have any trouble selling it, though.
    Ridiculous yes. It seems as though it should be in the $40-50 range between BT/ER and the BTAC.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    Ridiculous yes. It seems as though it should be in the $40-50 range between BT/ER and the BTAC.
    Well, Booker's is probably the closest analog to this particular release and it's right in that $40-50 price range. And I always though Beam was a few bucks overpriced for the most part.

I said pretty much the same thing about the Tornado. $70 for a 10 year old BiB? A lot of people responded, "But it's really, really good." Well, okay, but that's a departure from the way bourbon has been priced in the past, thank goodness. Otherwise we'd be paying $50 for VOB, Dickel, and OWA.

On a different point, the "rye-recipe Van Winkle" notion is pure BS as far as I can see. The Van Winkles, love them or hate them, have developed a solid brand based on excellent product, consistent profiles, and brilliant marketing. The EHT releases, while good, don't do anything to build a coherent brand. And even the Van Winkles won't price a 10 year old bourbon over $40.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.