Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

BTEC TPS Wheat on Rye II

Anyone tried this yet? I enjoyed the first release quite a bit.

10 yr, BT Wheat mashbill, 136 proof (barrel proof), finished in Abraham Bowman Viginia Rye barrels.

Connoisseur

Re: BTEC TPS Wheat on Rye II

I loved the first release. Curious as well.

I'm not prepared to give a detailed assessment, but I can say that I like it. Generally I prefer to drink barrel proof bourbons and ryes with little or any water, but this bottle is the exception. I enjoy it a lot more when it's brought down to around 100 proof.

Disciple

I hope the fact that this is the second take at an experimental, and one that doesn't take a long time to reproduce (like a special mashbill would), means that they are leading up to a regularly running product. Maybe since TPS is building a distillery, they could purchase 8-10 yr product from BT and make this a staple of their product line.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    I hope the fact that this is the second take at an experimental, and one that doesn't take a long time to reproduce (like a special mashbill would), means that they are leading up to a regularly running product. Maybe since TPS is building a distillery, they could purchase 8-10 yr product from BT and make this a staple of their product line.

And cut the price in half.

Virtuoso

The heat is tough to get past on this one and I found water is not a friend....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    And cut the price in half.
    Probably more. It would have to be a 750 for $40, not a 375 for $55.

Guru

First release was exceptional. The new one is not as well-balanced or integrated.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    First release was exceptional. The new one is not as well-balanced or integrated.
    John, I have gone back to this several times now given your thoughts on the first one. I know there could be some nice flavor to be found, I just can't get at it... water, air, .... nothing seems to want to bring this around.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    John, I have gone back to this several times now given your thoughts on the first one. I know there could be some nice flavor to be found, I just can't get at it... water, air, .... nothing seems to want to bring this around.
    If I still have any of the first version around, I'll bring it along the next time we get together. I think you'll see the difference between the two.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."