Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Maker's Mark facing "hostile workplace" lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    I'm sure that I'm misconstruing something here but it really bothers me that people feel they need to give things like sexism and racism a party affiliation.

Wrong is wrong independent of ideology. Cultural Relativism has been a great excuse for some very bad things to exist and does not function as a defense in civilized society.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I think you are over-reacting to a benign comment.

Its like someone saying..... "I'm no animal rights nut, nut but that Michael Vick ought to have done to him what he did to those dogs.

We all know what he meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    In today's media, academia..etc the general stereotype (incorrect) is that the left is incapable of such behavior and they "own" this topic by smashing it wherever it occurs, while the right are portrayed as the evil ones...just as all the left is portrayed by the right as military-hating and unpatriotic..once again incorrect.

All I meant to say is that no matter where you stand with politics, one should not condone this behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    It's just Fox News. Most people would be capable of remaining open-minded, level-headed and available for conversation with opposing viewpoints were it not for the sensationalism-as-news that Fox has poisoned the minds of America with.

Anyway, sorry, this should maybe go in Politics and Controversy, but I never look in there.

Why is this being discussed in the bourbon board ? Take it to politics board where it belongs.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Why is this being discussed in the bourbon board ? Take it to politics board where it belongs.
    I agree that it really does not belong here..but I can't move it out of this forum. I should not have responded to the OP i suppose...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post

Perhaps even the OP should not be in general discussion.

Like it or not, talk of sexual harassment, especially in todays litigious society, is not only "controversial", but by its very nature invites further political discussion as it relates to current workforce policies and trends.

Its like trying to discuss neo-prohibitionist activities without bringing "politics" into the discussion.

Dean may disagree, but I still say Tex's comment was benign. I think the most offensive part of it was the fact that it got the point across. Everyone intuitively knows what he meant. That, I think, is what got Dean so bent out of shape.

Now, of course, the thread has degenerated into a bashing of FNC which is in no way relevant to the topic at hand.
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 05-22-2012 at 13:28.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    I should not have responded to the OP i suppose...
    As occasionally happens, this started out Bourbon related but
    veered off into PRC all too soon. Don't blame yourself.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Guru

Let's get the facts straight, shall we?

Weller Tex is the one who brought politics into this thread by adding "I'm no left-winger, but..." to his statement. He later clarified his statement and expressed regret but it started with that first post.

Rob was merely saying that it was unfortunate that issues like this had to be connected with politics. Weller Tex's next post was more or less in agreement with Rob's point that politics shouldn't be connected with issues like this. I think pretty much everybody in this thread agrees with that. So let's stop trying to find people to blame or portray as vicitms and move on.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Let's get the facts straight, shall we?

Weller Tex is the one who brought politics into this thread by adding "I'm no left-winger, but..." to his statement. He later clarified his statement and expressed regret but it started with that first post.

Rob was merely saying that it was unfortunate that issues like this had to be connected with politics. Weller Tex's next post was more or less in agreement with Rob's point that politics shouldn't be connected with issues like this. I think pretty much everybody in this thread agrees with that. So let's stop trying to find people to blame or portray as vicitms and move on.
    I apologize for starting the whole mess, not intentional, just wasn't thinking..