Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Best entry-level wheater?

I am a big Weller fan (hence the user name), but I had some Maker's this weekend at a restaurant. I would imagine I will be roundly booed for this, but I have to say that as far as pure enjoyment, I liked the Maker's over Weller SR..the current Weller SR. I am not saying it's more complex, more anything, just that taste wise, I enjoyed it more it. The does not apply to OWA.

What's your favorite entry-level wheater? I have never had any of the OF products.

Guru

Re: Best entry-level wheater?

Generally speaking MM is the best bourbon choice I find in a restaurant. Around here bourbon selection in restaurants usually is MM, Baker, Booker, Basil, Knob. I'll have either MM or KC if I have bourbon.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    Generally speaking MM is the best bourbon choice I find in a restaurant. Around here bourbon selection in restaurants usually is MM, Baker, Booker, Basil, Knob. I'll have either MM or KC if I have bourbon.
    I'll have a beer, please

Connoisseur

It depends on what you mean by "entry-level" whether meaning price or for somebody cutting their teeth on bourbon.

I consider OWA one of the best valued bourbons around, period.

Rebel Yell lacks anything in the way of complexity or character, but for the same reason most enthusiasts eschew it, it makes for a decent introductory bourbon for somebody coming from Vodka or Canadian Whiskey.

That leaves Maker's Mark as the middle of the road. It has character but little complexity. The alcohol isn't as daunting as OWA, and has more going for it than Rebel Yell.

I can't speak to anything produced by Heaven Hill as I have not come across tbeir wheated bourbons.
    Last edited by JayMonster; 03-14-2012 at 11:58.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    It depends on what you mean by "entry-level" whether meaning price or for somebody cutting their teeth on bourbon.

Rebel Yell lacks anything in the way of complexity or character, but for the same reason most enthusiasts eschew it, it makes for a decent introductory bourbon for somebody coming from Vodka or Canadian Whiskey.

That leaves Maker's Mark as the middle of the road. It has character but little complexity. The alcohol isn't as daunting as OWA, and has more going for it than Rwbel Yell.

I can't speak to anything produced by Heaven Hill as I have not come across tbeir wheated bourbons.
    I'll agree that Rebel Yell is undrinkable piss water... but Rebel Reserve is worth checking out (for a budget wheater)

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post

That leaves Maker's Mark as the middle of the road. It has character but little complexity. The alcohol isn't as daunting as OWA, and has more going for it than Rebel Yell.

I happen to like the current VSOF, but don't think I could identify it as a wheater in a blind test. It's much spicier than I expect a wheater to taste. Haven't had the other OF bottlings in a long time, but they don't get much love around here FWIW.
    For an intro, I would probably dilute some OWA down to about 96 proof. Reasonably priced AND delicious!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Advanced Taster

Other than MM, a cheap entry level wheater is Corner Creek...which nobody knows exactly what's in it. Website says corn, wheat and rye...some kinda secret % of each (i emailed the CEO, he replied but gave no "real" info lol). Most don't think much of this bourbon. I don't mind it thinking it as being a little different from the rest.

Advanced Taster

Weller Special Reserve

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Weller Special Reserve
    weller_tex covered that in his original post.

Disciple

Assuming entry level means new to bourbon, I think MM is the best bourbon, not just wheater. I consider it a gateway whiskey.