Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Mashbill for VOB

Now that Barton is owned by Sazerac, I was curious if the mashbill for VOB is unique or one of the BT mashbills?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Mashbill for VOB

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    Now that Barton is owned by Sazerac, I was curious if the mashbill for VOB is unique or one of the BT mashbills?
    I'm confident it continues to be whatever it was. I haven't seen any evidence of BT changing anything at Barton except sprucing it up, opening it up to tourists, and adjusting the distilling schedule. Otherwise things are unchanged. Harlen Wheatley now has overall Master Distiller jurisdiction but Ken Pierce, longtime Chief Chemist at Barton, oversees things day-to-day. There has been talk that one of these days he will be named Master Distiller, but there's nothing official.
    Last edited by cowdery; 05-14-2012 at 13:53.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I'm confident it continues to be whatever it was. I haven't seen any evidence of BT changing anything at Barton except sprucing it up, opening it up to tourists, and adjusting the distilling schedule. Otherwise things are unchanged. Harlen Wheatley now has overall Master Distiller jurisdiction but Ken Pierce, longtime Chief Chemist at Barton, oversees things day-to-day. There has been talk that one of these days he will be named Master Distiller, but there's nothing official.
    Thanks, Chuck. Sure hope they don't change it because it's so darn good. Beats the pants off standard Buffalo Trace Bourbon.

Sazerac bought the Constellation properties first to get warehouses, second to get brands, and got the distillery as part of the deal. That's why many of us were worried they would mothball it. When they did their thorough evaluation, they decided they liked the fact that the Barton whiskeys were different from the Buffalo Trace whiskeys and decided that was a good thing. VOB especially seems like something to not mess with except to distribute more widely and make even more money from. It is phenomenally successful in Kentucky and there is no reason that success can't be duplicated elsewhere.

The Voshole

Three of us went to their tourist center a couple of weeks ago while in KY for the Sampler. For the tasting, they poured VOB 86 and 1792 (very generous pours I might add). Since I'd only had the 100 proof VOB before, I wasn't sure what to expect from the 86, but ended up being pleasantly surprised. It's a very nice whiskey so I hope they leave it alone.

Gary
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

I think they will, but I'm often wrong.

I had a bottle of VOB 86 that was given to me I was put off by it at first but I kept going back to it. By the time I got about 1/4 to 1/2 way into the bottle (not in one night) I started to like this stuff and started going back to that bottle more often. It soon became a favorite. Why I didn't pick up a couple while in KY I don't know.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.