Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1001 Whiskies You Must Taste Before You Die

Just picked this up yesterday at Barnes & Noble. Noticed Jason Pyle and Chuck Cowdery helped pick some of the American whiskies.

It's a nice book but it's really 1000 Whiskies because Parker's Heritage 2010 Wheat Mashbill got listed twice. One was Chuck's review and the other was Lew's.

Enthusiast

Re: 1001 Whiskies You Must Taste Before You Die

It's a nice book but it's really 1000 Whiskies because Parker's Heritage 2010 Wheat Mashbill got listed twice. One was Chuck's review and the other was Lew's.
    Makes the task a bit easier with one less to go through

Steffen

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuboy View Post
    Just picked this up yesterday at Barnes & Noble. Noticed Jason Pyle and Chuck Cowdery helped pick some of the American whiskies.

I need to get a copy, I enjoy a lot of Dom's work.

Very excited for my buddy Jason. Can't wait to read his reviews.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Connoisseur

I flipped through this the other day. It definitely seemed worthwhile to pick up. Pleasantly surprised to see some of the newer players to the scene be well represented.

Should be a nice addition to the library.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Since the contributors are named at the end of the book, I was unable to identify the various initials. However upon reading some of the bourbons, I found myself recognizing Chuck Cowdery's writing style (his entries are full of history). Except for Parker's Heritage 2010 being listed twice (which is just a minor mistake anyway), I think this is a great resource for the whiskey enthusiast. And I have to say the inclusion of Loch Dhu was interesting since it means I would need to try the truly horrid before I die.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Shuboy View Post
    And I have to say the inclusion of Loch Dhu was interesting since it means I would need to try the truly horrid before I die.
    Agree on that point - which makes me wonder, if they would put the Black Death on the list, did they include other really horrid excuses for whiskey/whisky? Loch Dhu does stand out I guess as a truly monsterous marketing error, but having tried it, I can't imagine why I would suggest anyone waste whatever whiskey quota they have in them on that stuff ...
    Mark

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If you are going to complain about what is included, you might want to suggest what you think should be included instead. 1,001 (or 1,000) is a lot of whiskeys.

One could also say that if you're trying to taste everything worth tasting, that may mean tasting some whiskeys you won't like.

It was a very ambitious project, I'm proud to have been included, and I'm pleased with the result. Taste all of the whiskeys before you die? You'll be lucky to read the whole book before you die. It's huge!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    If you are going to complain about what is included, you might want to suggest what you think should be included instead. 1,001 (or 1,000) is a lot of whiskeys.
    Not a complaint, Chuck, just more of a surprise - Loch Dhu is (was) unique so I guess on that score, some may want to try it. It certainly is a polarizing experience. I'm guessing there are 999 others you might want to prioritize in front of that one, IMHO.

I did order the book and am looking forward to it - I'm sure there is more in there than I'll ever get a chance to try or cross paths with, and I doubt I'd find anything missing in there!
    Mark

Loch Dhu deserves a place among the thousand. It's like the Manos The Hands of Fate of whisky (without the riffing by Joel and the Bots). Something so bad that one needs to experience it firsthand.

Guru

This was in the mail waiting for me today when I got home.

Hefty. Could spend a lifetime leafing through this thing.