Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gin forum

Gin forum

Any other gin lovers out there? I really enjoy gin and, unlike most microdistilled whiskey, I think that a lot of the microdistilled gins are a great value. Leopold's Gin is a favorite of mine and I have been itching to try their new Navy Strength Gin. Rob's Mtn. Gin is another great local one from Boulder. The gin industry has really been in a boom lately and its fun to see how much the gin shelves at liquor stores have grown.

Guru

Cool Re: Gin forum

I love gin, but I mostly enjoy the old standards: Beefeater, Bombay, Tanqueray, in that order. And I mean just the standard bottlings, too.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Re: Gin forum

My wife is English and a big gin lover, so we tend to throw back a fair number of gin and tonics during the summer. She's gotten hooked on Tanqueray Rangpur in recent years but used to be a dedicated Boodles drinker (reportedly Winston Churchill's gin of choice). I'm happy with most brand name gins in my g&t's as long as they are made right.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

I've been drinking more bourbon and rye, but summer is coming, which for me means refreshing gin and tonics. I also like gin martinis (three giant olives, don't be scared of the vermouth!).

Currently open in my bar is a bottle of Hendricks for martinis, and a bottle of Tanqueray for tonics. The lliter of Tanq was discovered only a few weeks ago in a box from when I moved in 2009... serendipity!

I like many of the craft distillery offerings. Since startup business plans generally involve selling unaged (or very short-aged) spirits, gin is a distinctive product they can get right out the door and start making a profit on (most of them make vodka, but I still don't get the market for unflavored GNS in a fancy bottle, but it seems to keep the craft people in business).

Berkshire Mountain Distillers is in Western Mass, and they produce a great everyday pour, Greylock Gin (80 pf), local to me costing around $26/750ml. They also make a fantastic limited-edition Ethereal Gin (86pf), where they change the recipe every once in a while, costing around $35/750ml.
    Last edited by Kalessin; 05-17-2012 at 09:17.

I rarely drink gin neat (only for tasting purposes) but almost always drink my gin with tonic. It really is a fantastically simple drink to make and can be very complex depending on the gin.

Bombay sapphire is what really got me into gin but I have also enjoyed other gins from the big guys like the tangurary rangpur and recently i have really enjoyed Hendricks.

Kalessin, I will be in that are this summer so I may try to find a bottle of the Berkshire gin. Is it widely available in most stores in MA? Do you know about VT and NY?

I've been wanting to try to make my own tonic as I have a full kegging system from homebrewing. has anyone done this and have a trusted recipe?

Connoisseur

I do like a martini from time to time. I got a huge handle of Bombay Saphire gin and a 350ml of Tanquray regular. I have to say i perfer Bombay.

A lot of people i know have been trying to get me to try Hendrix, but the thought of cucumbers stops me
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Virtuoso

I like regular Bombay for martini's and Bombay Sapphire for Gin & Tonic's. I want to try Plymouth for martini's. I've read that it is pretty good stuff.

Connoisseur

The Berkshire Mountain gins can be found all over Massachusetts, and most likely southern VT and eastern upstate NY. I can be of help with specific stores in many areas of MA, and I think the NH state liquor stores carry it.

Virtuoso

When I discovered Leopold's gin, I went through a little phase of drinking it on the rocks with a couple garlic olives. Outstanding stuff! I love Plymouth in a martini. Unfortunately, I have found that gin goes right to my head, and that is something my wife cannot tolerate.

I still have an unopened bottle of Leopold's in my cabinet. I don't like mixing gin and whiskey in the same night, and I just haven't had the heart to cut the brown out of the mix on a drinking night, so my gins have remained untouched for quite a while at this point.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

I'm with you Aaron, one of my rock solid rules is not to mix the clear and the brown on the same night. So, I have bourbon nights, and martini nights! the Leopold's and Berkshire mountain gins mentioned earlier are very good; Plymouth, Hendrick's, and Bombay (white) are my keep-around selections. For me, I stay away from the heavy Juniper, spicy gins; but if you like that kind, check out Junipero from SF and Bluecoat from Philly, both excellent in that category. #209 from SF fits more into the smooth, floral style I prefer, and is a regular favorite. Citadel also makes a nice gin, and they also bottle a slightly aged expression, which adds a whole new dimension. Sunset Hills from Bowman is smooth, but a little on the thin side; doesn't bring quite enough to the party. Smooth Ambler gin is...a work in progress (John, if you read this, don't hate me!) There is also a new gin called the Botanist that is from Bruichladdich; I've tasted in a bar and it was phenomenal. My first bottle is en route as we speak. Now, all these recommendations are purely from the martini perspective; they could completely change in when added to tonic or other cocktails, so individual results may vary.