Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gin forum

Re: Gin forum

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    Citadel also makes a nice gin
    I just finished a bottle of this a few nights ago. It was decent and I would consider replacing it if I found it on sale (it's already pretty cheap - 24 bucks IRRC). That said, I'm also in no rush to go out to the store and get another.

This distiller at Roundhouse spirits told me that if I enjoyed citadel then I should try Magellan and that magellan blows citadel out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    There is also a new gin called the Botanist that is from Bruichladdich; I've tasted in a bar and it was phenomenal. My first bottle is en route as we speak.
    Saw this at the store yesterday and was intrigued. I received a $5 off coupon while I was there for any product so I think I will go back for a bottle of this.

Advanced Taster

Ah, no hate Happyhour24x7.

I haven't had The Botanist yet, but I will now.

Enthusiast

Hey John, have you decided whether or not to bottle any of your aged gin? I found that to be quite interesting.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I have entirely switched over to Citadel from Tanqueray for GnT's. I just enjoy the flavor more. I have really been lovinig on the Corsair as a sipper with a simple squeeze of lime.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Novice

picked up a bottle of bluecoat Gin from philladelphia distilling company. It made a great g&t with fevertree tonic water. Highly recommended and the bottle is beautiful.

Advanced Taster

We have bottled the barrel aged gin. It comes out in 4-5 days. It's also a bit higher in proof (99 proof) than our Greenbrier Gin (80 proof), which I think helps quite a bit.

Connoisseur

For the past few years, it's been mostly Bombay Sapphire for martinis (kept in the freezer). Also Hendricks, Tanq 10.
    Occasional Northshore Distillery Gin #6 and Broker's.

Recently, I tried the Bluecoat from Philly and really liked it.
    Also been drinking some Botanist from Islay.
    A friend gave me a sample of Death's Door, but I haven't tried it yet.

been using St. Agur blue cheese (Whole Foods) to stuff my own olives.
    Martini and Dolin dry vermouth.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Enthusiast

So I have now thoroughly sampled (from a martini perspective at least) the Botanist, and another gin I ordered, Martin Millers; and I can recommend both very highly if your tastes run as mine do to the more floral, less juniper heavy taste profiles.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    I do like a martini from time to time. I got a huge handle of Bombay Saphire gin and a 350ml of Tanquray regular. I have to say i perfer Bombay.

A lot of people i know have been trying to get me to try Hendrix, but the thought of cucumbers stops me

I am not a fan of eating cucumbers, but I have produced 2 different gin recipes and both have included real cucumbers, I am told hendricks uses an essence. You do not really taste cucumber in gin. It adds a coolness that seems to work best in gin and tonic.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    I am not a fan of eating cucumbers, but I have produced 2 different gin recipes and both have included real cucumbers, I am told hendricks uses an essence. You do not really taste cucumber in gin. It adds a coolness that seems to work best in gin and tonic.
    The coolness isn't too shabby in a martini either...