Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gin forum

Enthusiast

Re: Gin forum

Sampled the Smooth Ambler aged gin, with interesting results. It had a very interesting note in the nose, which I was unable to identify (yet). It really lights up the tongue, partly from alcohol, but with flavor as well. The little things that put me off the standard version are removed by the wood. It makes a pleasant, but different, sipping gin. In a martini, however, it lost something. Not bad, it just didn't work well with the vermouth. I might need to cut my ratio down and play with it. Overall, well worth picking up and checking out. Thnaks John!

Connoisseur

friend returned my bottle (that I gave him with the Botanist) full of Death's Door. Recommended a G&T. Refreshing on a humid 90+ day
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Enthusiast

How is the Death's Door? Does it fall more towards juniper/spicy or smooth/floral?

It's more juniper/spicy, as it doesn't contain the floral/citrus ingredients that feature prominently in some other gins. It isn't as punch-you-in-the-face juniper-forward as some gins, but has a more subtle taste.

It isn't in the top tier of my gin hierarchy, but isn't bad. I probably won't buy another bottle given how many other better gins I've had.

Virtuoso

If I am drinking it straight or on the rocks on a hot summer day, I really like Millers. It is clean and crisp with a great cool mouth feel. I also like Hendricks. If I am going to reach for anything, it is generally corsair gin, but as you could imagine, I am a bit partial. I think Bluecoat and Citadel are more marketing than taste. I think Rouge Gin is the worst stuff I have ever tasted.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Enthusiast

yeah, I've been enjoying Miller's in my martinis lately as well...that is a nice smooth gin. It's been awhile since I've tried the Corsair, I'll have to give it another whirl.

I'd third the Miller's recommendation -- my personal favorite for gin-related uses. I'll have to try the Corsair's sometime, but need to reduce my gin collection 4-5 bottles by attrition first.

Enthusiast

Stopped into a liquor store downtown over the weekend, and they had just received a new gin out of New York, called Comb 9; it is apparently distiller from honey. It makes a pretty good martini, I was concerned there would be some sweetness given the source, but ther wasn't. Definitely worth a try. I'll try for more detailed tasting soon.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I drink gin perhaps two or three times a year. This hot summer seems to suit it. I made my own blend of gins, poured over rocks, added bitters and some water.

It's really good and it reminds me that the old Victorian standby of gin-and-water had an inherent logic.

Gary

Guru

http://www.whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/ A nice couple of reviews by Ralfy. Since I really don't like the strong juniper taste in most gins, he notes that regular Bombay Dry gin is
    without that strong note and is more orange and fruit notes.....it might be one for me to consider. It seemed to very easy on his palate to drink neat. Hendricks as well....
    Last edited by Jono; 08-07-2012 at 08:49.