Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gin forum

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Gin forum

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    http://www.whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/ A nice couple of reviews by Ralfy. Since I really don't like the strong juniper taste in most gins, he notes that regular Bombay Dry gin is
    without that strong note and is more orange and fruit notes.....it might be one for me to consider. It seemed to very easy on his palate to drink neat. Hendricks as well....
    Jon, if you're looking for something that's not as junipery, Corsair's might be right up your alley. It's more vegetal, than junipery. Very drinkable with a squeeze of lime, or just plain.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Thanks for the recommendation Joe. So far, gin has remained the on spirit I have yet to really embrace.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Just picked up and sampled the Leopold's gin today. Nice drink. Where many gins have a very pronounced, sharp, and "glossy" flavor profile, this is less so. Not "muted", as in faint, as the flavors are there. But rather, "matte", as compared to "glossy". I know that makes no sense at all, but it's all I can come up with. There is this Necco wafer flavor thing going on, but as yet, I can't ID which color. Maybe, I should go buy a pack. Anywho, it all adds up to a very nice gin, that I am really enjoying.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Made a martini with my new bottle of Bulldog gin, and quite enjoyed it. Complex without anything overpowering. Smooth, tasty gin. Get some.

Connoisseur

I keep a few bottles of nice gin around. My favorite for the last years is Martin Miller's 90 proof Westbourne. I've also got bottles of Voyager and Plymouth Navy Strength.

Finally, I've got a handle of Gordon's for those who don't give a crap.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

If I had to choose one brand, it is Beefeater. I grew up with it and for me it defines London Dry.

However, I like (who knew?) to blend my own and currently in the glass is a blend of Gordon's (about 50%), Beefeater Orange, regular Beefeater, a craft Old Tom gin from Oregon, and three vodkas (Grey Goose, a Polish brand and Stoli). The craft gin had a ton of juniper, the Beefeater Orange was sweet, the Gordon's dry/junipery and correct, the vodkas tasty (for vodka) and neutral, to blend and display the assertive flavours of the others.

It's all a big dryish gin taste with notes of orange, juniper, sweetness and a tangy dryness.

Very nice drink, I like it without ice on its own, just a skosh after a beer.

Gary

Guru

I know I've posted this before at some point, but my wife is English and her family drinks Boodles exclusively. It was reportedly Winston Churchill's brand of choice and he knew a thing or two about drinking, so I'm good with Boodles as my go-to gin when I'm making g&t's.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Grabbed a St. George gin sampler the other day. Have tried the dry rye and the botanivore. The botanivore made an exceptional g&t, and the dry rye made a very interesting negroni. Haven't gotten around to the terroir yet, but looking forward to it.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Grabbed a St. George gin sampler the other day. Have tried the dry rye and the botanivore. The botanivore made an exceptional g&t, and the dry rye made a very interesting negroni. Haven't gotten around to the terroir yet, but looking forward to it.
    i love the st. george's. nice stuff. love their absinthe too.

ever try an old tom gin from ransom? very nice to sip neat. very different.

Guru

We have some of that. Did not care for it initially and haven't gone back to it since. Been about a year ago. Will have to break it back put and give her another go.