Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gin forum

Apprentice

Re: Gin forum

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    We have some of that. Did not care for it initially and haven't gone back to it since. Been about a year ago. Will have to break it back put and give her another go.
    it did take me a bit to come around on it too. very, very different for sure.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mopgcw View Post
    i love the st. george's. nice stuff. love their absinthe too.

ever try an old tom gin from ransom? very nice to sip neat. very different.
    Yes, much more like a whiskey than a typical gin. Ransom also makes a very nice Martinez with Carpano, maraschino liqueur and a dash of Boker's bitters!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

After a few decades of dedicated research I have concluded if I can only have one gin in my cabinet it will be Plymouth.

Advanced Taster

My friend, whom I have been educating on bourbon for the last few months, suddenly revealed that he is a minor gin guy and gave me a gin 101 lesson. He lined up some basics - New Amsterdam, Tanqueray London Dry, Tanqueray Rangpur, and Bombay Sapphire, and we tried them neat and with diet tonic water.

Suffice to say, I was impressed with all of them. With tonic water, I like the Rangpur, and neat I liked the Bombay Sapphire - but the sub-$15 New Amsterdam was simple and good too, especially for the price. Price and taste taken together, I think I might have to take up gin as a second liquor of interest.

You guys see this question with whisk(e)y all the time: What commonly available gin recommendations to you have for a new gin drinker trying to cheaply but effectively expand his range?
    Last edited by CoMobourbon; 03-24-2013 at 13:37.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Guru

To fully appreciate gin I think it is worth including both Plymouth and Old Tom gin in your exploration. There is only one "true" Plymouth gin called Plymouth gin naturally enough! So that is easy.

There are two fairly regularly available old Tom gins but they are fairly different. Hayman's Old Tom is more the classic version. Ransom Old Tom is a delightful malty Old Tom style and a wonderful spirit made in Oregon (they also now make a young straight bourbon which I haven't tried but probably deserves a taste at least).

Ransom gin also serves as a lovely introduction to the world of genever/jenever, the Dutch big brother of more traditional London style gins like Tanqueray, Bombay and even the California based New Amsterdam. Without at least trying jenever I don't think you can have a really complete gin experience. Bols is the biggest name and a good place to start but there are others worth checking out as well, including Genevieve, a pot stilled spirit of wheat, barley and rye mash, from Anchor in San Francisco.

Yes, it can be as addictive as bourbon...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Bombay Blue, dry Vermouth, a little lime juice, shaken with ice, and two or three garlic stuffed queen olives.

There are damn few drinks better than that.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

Don't overlook Beefeaters which is a classic for a reason.

Advanced Taster

Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys!

I will try be sure to try
    -Beefeaters (pretty cheap and available around me)
    -martinis and close variants (that pretty much what you were describing, right Alden?)
    -a genever/jenever

(At $32+, Plymouth seems a little too expensive for a new cheap gin drinker like me, but thanks a lot for the reference nonetheless. My friend's birthday is coming up.)
    Last edited by CoMobourbon; 03-24-2013 at 15:23.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by CoMobourbon View Post
    Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys!

I will try be sure to try
    -Beefeaters (pretty cheap and available around me)
    -martinis and close variants (that pretty much what you were describing, right Alden?)
    -a genever/jenever

(At $32+, Plymouth seems a little too expensive for a new cheap gin drinker like me, but thanks a lot for the reference nonetheless. My friend's birthday is coming up.)
    Yes, I was describing a martini. Gin is a completely different experience than bourbon. Enjoy!
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

A well crafted gin (not just flavored GNS) is a very sophisticated liquor.