Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Gin forum

Guru

Re: Gin forum

Certainly worth trying though being mindful Rangpour is basically lime flavored gin with a dash of ginger. These flavored gins are typically lower proof as well so I would buy the regular strength stuff then add my own ginger ale and lime.

Gilbeys had a lime flavor gin back in the late 60s that I used to buy for a girlfriend until I learned to fix my own. If I were trying to impress a young lady today I'd buy the Tanqueray version.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jackinbox View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. I've been reading about this Rangpur style. Is that worth trying in a gin & tonic or should I just stick with the London?
    I like Tanq in general and think both Rangpur and Malacca are interesting less dry gins. Malacca is 80 pf I think while Rangpur is the same as standard Tanq. Rangpur is more lime flavor but still different with some more herbal notes than the Tanq 10 which is also citrus-y. Malacca is also citrus-y but not so much lime.

Both Malacca and Rangpur work well as a variation in lighter gin based cocktails like G&T but tend to get lost in a cocktail with heavier ingredients to me.

And if you want some added lime through it in there! And maybe a dash of bitters? What the heck, go for it!
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 01-09-2014 at 09:09.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

I believe Rangpur comes in three strengths, 80, 86.2 and 94.6. The only one I've seen is the 80.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I believe Rangpur comes in three strengths, 80, 86.2 and 94.6. The only one I've seen is the 80.
    Those are the proofs for the standard Tanqueray in different locations I believe.

Only Rangpur I have seen is the 82.4 proof which is the one I have. But certainly could be others. I have had it awhile so perhaps the proof has been cut to 80. The standard Tanq is usually 94.6 in the US so I suppose there could be a Rangpur at this strength too but I've never seen it.

I will have to check the shelf the next time I am out to satisfy my curiosity!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Come to think of it the one I'm referring to probably was 82.4, didn't give it much thought at the time, just seem to remember thinking another watered down flavored thing.

I usually buy Beefeaters but don't really have any brand loyalty when it comes to gin. I did quit buying Bombay though when they dropped the proof from 94 to 86.

Connoisseur

first one of these in a while. Bombay Sapphire Dirty Martini. Dolin Dry Vermouth. Dirty Sue Olive Juice. stuffed the olives with Castello Rosenborg Danish Blue Cheese (not the softest cheese, but easily doable). I know, it borders on being an hors d'oeuvre.
    The gin was in the fridge in the garage where it's about 20 degrees (F). Nice ice shards floating on the martini.

had to refill the bottle from the big one in the bunker
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Guru

Had a sample of a new to me gin yesterday. Called Bummers & Lazarus. Made in San Francico on Treasue Island it appears out of grapes (essentially a brandy base that is then redistilled with the botanicals). Not sure what the botanical formula is but juniper is definitely not the primary flavoring. Reallly unusual flavor, maybe a bit like Hendricks but not really like anything I have had before. I suppose given the lack of readily apparent juniper influence this was almost a botanical vodka. But that is pretty much what gin is anyway!

Bummer Lazarus gin.JPG

Guru

Juniper is the defining characteristic of gin and lacking that it is just flavored vodka. This one appears as though they thunk up the label first and made something to fill the bottle later. That or they just don't know how to make gin, sometimes the term craft distiller refers to marketing acumen rather than distilling skill.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Juniper is the defining characteristic of gin and lacking that it is just flavored vodka. This one appears as though they thunk up the label first and made something to fill the bottle later. That or they just don't know how to make gin, sometimes the term craft distiller refers to marketing acumen rather than distilling skill.
    Juniper is in it but it is by no means dominant. That is getting to be more comon these days with some of the "Western" style gins. The grape base reminds me of G'Vine gin from France which is another grape based gin. From pictures I can find they do indeed distill their own product and the website even has some talk of making a bourbon. They even sorta say the right things.

http://www.raffdistillerie.com/bourbon.html

In any case it was an interesting gin/botanical vodka/what ever you want to call it.

Guru

I think there's a small movement among the micros to get around the tasteless, odorless, colorless requirements of vodka by instead making a gin that's not so gin.