Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Gin forum

Connoisseur

Re: Gin forum

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing what bar you were at, Harry. Sounds like a good bartender.
    Buck's Fishing @ Camping, Connecticut Ave NW. Jason made it for us (well, we helped), but don't let Chef know we use the parsley in drinks; kitchen'll want a cut.

Oh, yeah, in my post above, it should be "palate" not "pallet". We don't clean pallets at the bar.
    Last edited by Harry in WashDC; 05-26-2014 at 06:01.

Apprentice

Have any of you guys tried the Monkey 47? I picked up a bottle recently after it was much hyped at my local store, and it did not disappoint. It's pretty hard to describe in it's entirety, but I will say it's the only gin that I've picked up jasmine, citrus, juniper, dried berries, bay leaf and lemon zest, all in the same sip. I'll let the professionals do the talking, but I'd highly recommend picking up a bottle if you haven't already. Check this out : http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/kl...to-heaven.html

Enthusiast

Very much enjoying the bottle of Leopold Bros. Navy Strength I picked up. Makes a hell of a martini.

Connoisseur

Thanks, Happy. I looked right at it and passed even though I like Leopold Bros. products. I will not do that again.

Enthusiast

A few weeks ago I stumbled across a few dusty bottles of Leyden's gin and an older label Plymouth gin.

From what I could gather on the internet, this stuff is a Dutch gin that came over to the US in the late 90's, and has since been re-branded Van Gogh gin. I later saw a Van Gogh gin at another store across town, but did not buy it.

The Leyden's tastes awesome. I could enjoy it neat. So I'm going to try a Van Gogh soon to see if it is truly the same stuff.

Since I last wrote in this forum I also tried Mayfair, with which I was not impressed, and The Botanist, which I do enjoy.

I have the feeling that Van Gogh may be my new gin of choice. I'll know more in the fall when I get back on land and do some more sipping.

tbt

Connoisseur

got the martini itch and we had some St. Agur Blue Cheese in the fridge.
    figured I'd try a new gin: St. George
    Dirty Sue olive juice was made popular on Sex in the City

the gin is pretty good, btw!

give the cheese time to warm up and pull the pimentos

chill the shaker and glass. beaker for measuring like Walter White

get dirty stuffing the olives

loaded and ready to go

liquid ingredients

cheers!!

"A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by r.mx View Post
    Have any of you guys tried the Monkey 47? Check this out : http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/kl...to-heaven.html
    I just picked up a bottle this past weekend on the rave review of the owner of the shop.

I agree, it's fantastic stuff.

Made a G&T this evening with Val's Batch 22 (every bit as good as Batch 15) and then made another with Monkey. Monkey wins hands down. Probably the best G&T I've ever had!

Definitely going to have to pick up more of this stuff.
    Rye junkie

Advanced Taster

Anyone try Tanqueray Old Tom? I bought a bottle, but have a couple gins already open, so I'll save this one for when I'm down another. Thoughts? How similiar is to Malacca if you've had both

Disciple

We had a visitor bring some Bluecoat Gin as a gift (he is from PA). It was much more vegetal than I remember it, but was a good change of pace from what I have been drinking lately.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

A recent bourbon thread featured Henry du Yore whiskey. Turns out Ransom Spirits, Sheridan, Oregon, makes it. Ransom is more famous for its gins. Last night, because that thread piqued my interest, I ordered a Fitty-Fitty - one oz. Ransom Dry Gin and 1 oz. Ransom Dry Vermouth, some orange bitters and a lemon twist. I knew they made good gin. Now, I know they make good vermouth.