Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gin forum

Connoisseur

Re: Gin forum

I've got a collection going:

- Martin Miller's
    - Martin Miller's Westbourne (my favorite)
    - Hendrick's
    - Plymouth
    - Plymouth Navy Strength
    - Ransom Old Tom
    - Junipero
    - Beefeaters
    - The Botanist
    - Voyager
    - Gordon's

This is just from memory, might be missing some.

Connoisseur

first martinis of the fall

homemade blue cheese stuffed olives--yes, I know, it borders on being an hors d'oeuvre
    both Bombay Sapphire, Dolin dry vermouth. #2 dirty.
    Gonna try one with The Botanist soon
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Connoisseur

St George Dry Rye Gin...don't think I can recommend this for anything.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    St George Dry Rye Gin...don't think I can recommend this for anything.
    I think it works well as an interesting substitute for jenever in cocktails. But then you have to like the malty jenever style as it is not a classic gin by any means.

Also I think it makes a pretty good Pink Gin although that is not a drink for everybody. Even a martini if a bit different (and I tend to use a pretty healthy 3:1ish vermouth ratio and include the classic addition of orange bitters in mine. Even works in a Negroni although that is not a favorite drink of mine.

Doesn't play as well with citrus although it can in the right cocktail.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Sipsmith, a new London artisan gin. It is slightly sweet with excellent aromatics and taste, I think orange of some kind is a defining flavour or at least working closely with the indispensable juniper. Funny thing is, it reminds me very much of my current personal gin blend, comprised of about 15 gins and a genever or two. I think many people couldn't tell them apart blind.

I like the Sipsmsith much better than another new London brand stored a very short time in scotch whisky casks. Can't recall the name for now. Decent gin but the Sipsmith shows much more form and depth IMO.

Gary

Taster

Gin forum

I just picked up a Bottle of Bulldog Gin today. It is very good, and I'm surprised I like it. Gin isn't really my usual, but this is very nice, and moderately priced.
    "They say some of my stars drink whiskey. But I have found that the ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games." - Casey Stengal

Advanced Taster

I don't believe I've ever had a gin & tonic before (unless it was at a party in my early 20s), so I thought I might try one. My neighbor has a bottle of Gordon's and a bottle of Bombay Sapphire on hand but he drinks his with 7UP, so I'll need to pick up tonic water. Are all tonic waters pretty much the same or should I look for something specific?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jackinbox View Post
    I don't believe I've ever had a gin & tonic before (unless it was at a party in my early 20s), so I thought I might try one. My neighbor has a bottle of Gordon's and a bottle of Bombay Sapphire on hand but he drinks his with 7UP, so I'll need to pick up tonic water. Are all tonic waters pretty much the same or should I look for something specific?
    Some will say any old tonic will do but others feel there are significant differences. At home I have used Fever Tree, both the Indian and when I can find it the Mediterranean style, to good success based on the results of this taste test from 2012.

Among the less expensive typical brands I find Canada Dry works well although it is much less "tonic-y" and more like club soda to me with a more mild flavor. It might be a good choice if you are using a particularly flavorful or delicate gin where you want the gin to stand out. Hendricks for example.

G&T is not typically considered a cold weather cocktail unless you are just trying to convince yourself it is summer!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

For me the flavor profile of the Gin counts more than the brand of tonic. Gordons has a fuller style that mixes well with the standard tonic brands so I would get the one on sale. Add a quarter of fresh lime and you'll be transported to the beach no matter how hard the wind howls.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the info everyone. I've been reading about this Rangpur style. Is that worth trying in a gin & tonic or should I just stick with the London?