Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Gin forum

Connoisseur

Re: Gin forum

I'm not sure I should be touting a non-bourbon blog on SB, but I've been reading gin reviews at theginisin.com for a couple years now. While I drink bourbons year round, my wife likes gin drinks in the summer. We got tired of basic London drys and have added in genevers, Plymouth, and Old Tom - still drink the London drys but not so much. theginisin reference is here because it recently mentioned how some aged gins are taking on a brown color, and how some craft gins are experimenting with different flavors, some of which approach whiskey profiles. F'rinstance, GreenHat gin here in WashDC has "seasonal" releases that match botanicals to the weather, sort of. In no way will it be mistaken for Gilbeys but I find it an interesting break from bourbon. Another info source: the book The Drunken Botanist is all about how distilled spirits including whiskeys are made and flavored. It gave me a better appreciation of the art and science behind my favorite spirits which is one reason I ended up at SB - so much to absorb from you all. As a bourbon lover, I like the move by craft distillers to experimenting with their products until their whiskeys are properly aged. If they take care of their gins, I expect they'll take care of their whiskeys.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Juniper is the defining characteristic of gin and lacking that it is just flavored vodka. This one appears as though they thunk up the label first and made something to fill the bottle later. That or they just don't know how to make gin, sometimes the term craft distiller refers to marketing acumen rather than distilling skill.
    I'd say this is somewhat distinct from flavored vodka; presumably they're using botanicals in a gin basket in the still and not just adding flavor to vodka.
    Jim

Guru

Of course Jim but isn't running base spirit vapor through a botanical basket essentially flavoring vodka? What I'm talking about is producing a near gin that could have a wider use in cocktails than a traditional gin.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

So I just sort of stumbled in here while drinking a gin and tonic, figured I'd add my input. While I do not drink gin neat, I do have a weakness for two gin-based cocktails: Gin & Tonic and Tom Collins. Sure, I experiment with other gin-based cocktails from time to time, but those are the two that I come back to, time and again. Primarily the Gin and Tonic. I haven't really nailed down a great Tom Collins recipe yet, but I do have a couple standby recipes for G&T. The first uses 1 oz Jack Rudy Tonic Syrup, 2 oz Gin, and 4 oz club soda. This works when I'm the mood for a mild G&T, or when I'm not pissed off by the fact that the creator of Jack Rudy Cocktail Co. is a huge d-bag. I should know, I've known for nearly 20 years. If I want a more bitter G&T, I usually use 4oz of Fentiman's tonic water + .25 oz Jack Rudy along with my 2 oz of gin.

Speaking of gin, I have not tried a ton: Tanqueray regular and Malacca, Bombay Sapphire, The Botanist Islay Dry Gin, and Citadelle. So far Citadelle is my favorite at any price, and the price also makes it my value pick.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    So I just sort of stumbled in here while drinking a gin and tonic, figured I'd add my input. While I do not drink gin neat, I do have a weakness for two gin-based cocktails: Gin & Tonic and Tom Collins. Sure, I experiment with other gin-based cocktails from time to time, but those are the two that I come back to, time and again. Primarily the Gin and Tonic. I haven't really nailed down a great Tom Collins recipe yet, but I do have a couple standby recipes for G&T. The first uses 1 oz Jack Rudy Tonic Syrup, 2 oz Gin, and 4 oz club soda. This works when I'm the mood for a mild G&T, or when I'm not pissed off by the fact that the creator of Jack Rudy Cocktail Co. is a huge d-bag. I should know, I've known for nearly 20 years. If I want a more bitter G&T, I usually use 4oz of Fentiman's tonic water + .25 oz Jack Rudy along with my 2 oz of gin.

Speaking of gin, I have not tried a ton: Tanqueray regular and Malacca, Bombay Sapphire, The Botanist Islay Dry Gin, and Citadelle. So far Citadelle is my favorite at any price, and the price also makes it my value pick.
    If you are of an "adventurous" nature then you might want to consider trying genever to make an "original" Tom Collins!

http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2...l-collins.html

Geoff at Drink Spirits also wrote about it.

http://www.drinkspirits.com/genever/...-bols-genever/

I rather prefer them to the typical Tom Collins. I suggest starting with Bols genever which is generally pretty available and I think quite good.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 02-11-2014 at 06:27.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    If you are of an "adventurous" nature then you might want to consider trying genever to make an "original" Tom Collins!

http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2...l-collins.html

Geoff at Drink Spirits also wrote about it.

http://www.drinkspirits.com/genever/...-bols-genever/

I rather prefer them to the typical Tom Collins. I suggest starting with Bols genever which is generally pretty available and I think quite good.
    Oh, yeah. I'll concur. That Drink Spirits recipe is wonderful. As an alternative to the Bols genever, we have used the Bols Damrak when we get Meyer lemons. Oooh, I'm looking forward to Summer already. For sparkling water, we use Apollinaris or Poland Springs or Fever Tree in that order.

Advanced Taster

Just had the pleasure to open and taste a brand new bottle of Gin that I helped fund.

Four Pillars.

WOW. It will need further tasting, but so far, it will be right up there with the best Gin I have ever tasted. That its locally produced and that they guys who make it are passionate and more than willing to have a chat about it is even better.

Guru

That sounds encouraging, what is the bottling proof?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

I think its around 80 something. But I would need to check when I get home.

Advanced Taster

Gotta join this thread. Next to whiskey, gin is my go-to, with a gin and tonic being my staple drink.

My preference is on the dry side, but not too dry. I like a good amount of juniper, but I like variations that have merit.

My current favorite gin is Uncle Val's Lot #15. Has anybody else tried it?

Other great gins I've had are, The Botanist, Junipero, St. George Terroir, Magellan (blue iris gin), Corsair

As for tonic, my current favorite is Q Tonic, followed by Whole Foods 365 brand.
    Rye junkie