Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Gin forum

Re: Gin forum

Have been having a few Gin and Tonics lately. I am in Australia, and there is great small batch maker called Four Pillars. Highly recommend it if you get the chance to try it.

Advanced Taster

I know two things about gin, Jack and Squat. That being said, here in Minnesota we have a line of vodka and gin produced with local organic grain called Prairie Organic. I made my wife a few dirty martinis last night with the gin and it was pretty nice.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by s8ist View Post
    Gotta join this thread. Next to whiskey, gin is my go-to, with a gin and tonic being my staple drink.

My preference is on the dry side, but not too dry. I like a good amount of juniper, but I like variations that have merit.

My current favorite gin is Uncle Val's Lot #15. Has anybody else tried it?

Other great gins I've had are, The Botanist, Junipero, St. George Terroir, Magellan (blue iris gin), Corsair

As for tonic, my current favorite is Q Tonic, followed by Whole Foods 365 brand.
    I have tried the Uncle Val's, and at present it's my favorite, too!

I haven't gone whole hog with gin investigations yet, but UV's was a huge step up from Hendricks

tbt

Guru

Not a fan of Hendricks myself. Nothing wrong with it except the proof, but of course there are a lot of them in that 80ish bracket now. When it comes to gin I draw the line at 94 proof.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Not a fan of Hendricks myself. Nothing wrong with it except the proof, but of course there are a lot of them in that 80ish bracket now. When it comes to gin I draw the line at 94 proof.
    I'll keep more of an eye on the proof as I experiment with gins going forward...

tbt

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Bombay Sapphire? I keep it around for emergencies, like when I want gin.

Hendricks works well in a cocktail with parsley. Don't laugh. As I posted elsewhere on SB, after eating roasted garlic at the bar, the bartender passed around bunches of parsley he'd filched from the kitchen - good breath/pallet cleanser. We had some left over. Put some in a shaker, bruised it, added Hendricks & some lemon (not too much) & simple syrup (not too much). Stirred with ice. Served it up with a few bits of parsley floating around. Was better than having Chef yell at us for wasting his parsley. Turned out pretty good.

Enthusiast

I'd be interested in knowing what bar you were at, Harry. Sounds like a good bartender.

Enthusiast

Picked up a bottle of Blue Coat in Philly. Waiting on my flight home and hoping my bottle survives in checked luggage.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    Picked up a bottle of Blue Coat in Philly. Waiting on my flight home and hoping my bottle survives in checked luggage.
    Bluecoat is very good, a traditional dry gin with a nice balance of juniper and citrus (maybe heavier on the citrus). Not lacking in proof. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Bluecoat is very good, a traditional dry gin with a nice balance of juniper and citrus (maybe heavier on the citrus). Not lacking in proof. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    I enjoyed a Bluecoat Martini at the bar in Capitol Grille my 3rd night in Philly. I decided to take some of that native spirit home with me. I got a TSA inspection notice in my bag, but no worries. The bottle made it home.