Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 To Start With

Hybrid View

Apprentice

5 To Start With

OK, silly chaps, there is a rule that you should never let a traveling salesman into your house, because if you do, he will mark your curb and all the other traveling salesmen will come a knockin'.

Since you were so responsive to my last post about tasting, here is another.

I have not tried very many bourbons that you guys talk about here. As I mentioned in my last post Makers Mark Red and Wild Turkey 101 are what I have at my house.

What I want is a list of 5 (do not name thee 4, neither name thee 6, 7 is right out. And the number 5, the fifth number being bereached...) bourbon / ryes to try.

Here is the deal though. I will buy these whiskeys in 375ml at a liquor store. I have to ease Mrs. TexasPride into understanding the benefit of having a lot of whiskey around the house.

but hon, whiskey does not go bad. I will buy this much and it will be around until I drink it all... I love you...
    Keeping that in mind, help me out with 5 to start with. And don't go all Pappy 23 on me either. I am living on somewhat of a budget...

Thanks folks.

Guru

Re: 5 To Start With

I could name so many more, but being limited to 375ml size... Hmmm, ok here's what I can come up with:

Knob Creek 375ml - about $15
    Ezra Brooks 101 375ml- about $8
    Makers Mark 375ml - about $12
    Old Forester 375 - about $9
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed 375ml - about $14

It's hard to get into some Rye's and so many bourbons because you cannot get them in 375ml's... BUT you can get a few 750ml bottles for a very good price and they are fantastic bourbons so if you should want to sub something from above keep these in mind... Ezra Brooks Single Barrel at about $24 for a 750ml and Old Commonwealth for $20 a 750ml. They are both available here at Sams in Chicago.

Just my input, I am certain many others will give you great selections as well! Enjoy!

Guru

I had forgotten about the Old Commonwealth bottling, which we have been told is the same bourbon as the ORVW 10/107 from my list, but at a lower price -- while it lasts.

Regarding the Ezra Brooks Single Barrel, is that bourbon also referred to as "Ezra B 15 year-old"?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Regarding the Ezra Brooks Single Barrel, is that bourbon also referred to as "Ezra B 15 year-old"?

Yessir.

Guru

1. Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 years old (Don't give me any crapola about it not being available in 375 ml. bottles. You must try this one ASAP. If you don't, you'll hate yourself later for putting it off. Gee, it really feels good to let my true, opinionated nature have its way now and then. Humility gets tiring after a while.)

(Come to think of it, I have no idea as to which bottlings are available in 375 ml. I almost never see that size bottle, certainly not for the whiskies that I prize most highly.)

2. Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107.

3. Wathens Single Barrel

4. Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 year old

5. Virginia Gentleman 90 proof/6 year old

All are in the $20-30 range at my retailers, and well worth the price. IMO, the only reason to spend more is to satisfy one's curiousity. (I should talk. ) I was tempted to cheat and sneak in a sixth bourbon, but your warning frightened me to a faretheewell. BTW, are you a history buff, perchance? Do you know that Abraham Lincoln once lived in Kentucky, near (ahem!) Knob Creek?

I'm tempted to do another reply under a nom de bourbon to address the bottlings available for less than $20.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

Very good list Dave, I agree buy the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye no matter what, you will not regret it.

By limiting yourself to 375ml bottles you're not really getting to try some of the better bottlings... Honestly, buy fewer bottles, say 2-3 but get 750ml's, you will be able to try such a better range of fine bourbons. With the 375's you're limited to things like Chuck mentioned like Jack Black, Beam White etc. Now there is nothing wrong with them, but I say get less bottles and try comparing finer bourbon. Hell, even Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve for about $23 is a great bourbon. (though even that will be debated by some haha) I'm sure whatever you choose though TxPride, you'll still enjoy every minute of sampling them!

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Lucky for you Blantons Single Barrel and Woodford Reserve are available in the 350 ml size. Blantons is a little steep at around 25 bucks. Woodford is about 15 or so . One or the other and any other 4 from any of the previous suggestions will make my 5.

Disciple

even Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve for about $23 is a great bourbon. (though even that will be debated by some haha)

only the crazed would debate that!

TomC

Administrator in exile

Call me crazy then, but RR is the red-headed stepchild of the Wild Turkey line. It would be a nice pour at $15, but I would still probably prefer WT101 at that price. And at only $6 more is Rare Breed, which is a far superior bourbon. Although, you really shouldn't bother with anything less than Kentucky Spirit anyway, because once you've tried the "Big Bird" all others are just chicks and hens

Advanced Taster

I guess I'm crazy, too, because there are several bourbons sold at RR's price point that I would rate as superior to RR. I agree with Jeff's opinion on the RR.

Jeff: Have you tried WT 12yo? It's definitely NOT a chick, nor a hen. In fact, it may just rule the roost. The 12yo, Rare Breed and Kentucky Spirit are all superior bourbons. To choose one as the best WT is difficult, to say the least. The big strike against the 12yo is that it's nearly impossible to find in stores (but, thankfully, easy to find at my house). I find the quality of RB to be ever-so-slightly more consistent from bottle to bottle than KS. RB never fails to amaze and delight me. But, when you get a top-notch bottlng of KS, nothing beats it. Again, I agree with you on the Russell's Reserve: it's good, but not equal to the best WT has to offer.

My Wild Turkey pecking order:

1. Wild Turkey 12yo
    1a. Rare Breed
    1b. Kentucky Spirit
    4. Russell's Reserve (and a distant fourth, at that)
    5. WT 101 (nipping at RR's heel)

SpeedyJohn