Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Shipping bourbon...UPS or FedEx?

I recently moved across the country and left most of my bunker at my mom's house. I was going to have her send me some and have never mailed any before as I had no need. I was wondering which company was better in terms of not hassling her about what is in it? If she tells them there isn't alcohol in it can they open it anyway? What should she say is in there as it will be obvious it is liquid of some sort in roughly wine sized bottles?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Shipping bourbon...UPS or FedEx?

Hey Ryan. I've had great success with The UPS Store. The owner there has never said a word on anything, nor asked any type of question. But, I think it may just be a "depends on the store" type of thing. Though, I've sent bottles from out of town UPS Stores to me here in ATL without incident, too.

Maybe, have her send you some other things from the store, in order to build up a "relationship". Then, when she starts runnin' your whiskey out, they won't think twice.

One other thing, it's bad form to have your Mom lie in order for you to get your booze.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
    What should she say is in there as it will be obvious it is liquid of some sort in roughly wine sized bottles?

• Artisan olive oil
    • Vintage lava lamps
    • Artisan vinegar
    • Hand pressed apple cider
    If you put the words "artisan" or "vintage" in there, it helps justify a higher insured value, too.

/the first two suggestions aren't original with me, they came from another member here.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Advanced Taster

My local UPS store has boxes specifically designed for items the exact size and shape of a wine bottle, which often also means liquor bottle. A tall box with styrofoam liner neatly cut to a bottle's shape. They sell them for single bottles and also 3 bottle sets. Curious, perhaps, in that it's not legal to ship such contents. But as my local UPS guy told me with a wink, "we don't look inside and check the contents."

Enthusiast

Create the label online, drop at Staples and tell them it's already labelled and you're just dropping it off. They will usually just say "great, just set it on the counter over there".

......I heard

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dridge11 View Post
    Create the label online, drop at Staples and tell them it's already labelled and you're just dropping it off. They will usually just say "great, just set it on the counter over there".

......I heard
    This!

It takes all of two minutes to set up a UPS account and print a label from at home. Then just drop it with a driver or at the UPS Store, very easy!

Advanced Taster

Fed Ex is the way to go. I still don't know what is illegal about mailing booze -- places like Party Source ship via FedEx, and my most recent shipment actually had a big yellow sticker boldly proclaiming "CONTAINS ALCOHOL" to anyone who can read -- but both on the shipping and receiving end, I have had nothing but good experience shipping by Fed Ex. And surprisingly, ground shipping for short distances is often faster than their more expensive options and they've been happy to tell me so.

Enthusiast

From my experience working at a mail order company for 13 years, UPS is far more abusive to their boxes. So if it's something fragile I always use FedEx.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    From my experience working at a mail order company for 13 years, UPS is far more abusive to their boxes. So if it's something fragile I always use FedEx.
    For what it's worth, I ship wine for a living (very expensive wine in a lot of cases) and have used UPS exclusively. Granted we have special styros to prevent breakage but we've had VERY few claims for damaged/broken bottles.

Just remember, shipping spirits/alcohol without a licenses is illegal. That being said, ( ) if it was up to me, I'd use UPS from a place I know wouldn't ask any questions. Put labels on boxes designating something other than spirits/alcohol. I'd also use labels designating "Fragile Glass", and labels with arrows designating "This Side Up." I just happened to find a site you can print those very labels from. http://www.samplewords.com/ Might have to search a bit.

FWIW, I work for a company where I'm sometimes required to ship packages out. I'm not bragging, (really I am) but I know how to pack things in order to minimize damage. I'd use extra cardboard or double wall boxes, cardboard separators, styrofoam, styrofoam peanuts, bubble wrap, foam pieces/foam wrap, etc... what ever you have, and what ever you think it takes. I's better to be safe than sorry. Also, U-Haul has styrofoam wine bottle shipping containers that might be of use to you. Like Brisko said, some of these ideas are from other sources.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"