Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BBQ.... what is your weapon of choice?

18 in. Weber bullet. Hasty-Bake Gourmet. The Hasty-Bake is more of a griller but in a pinch you can smoke on it. Really burns through fuel though. The best thing about these cookers is they're being used in a fourth-floor walk-up studio apartment in Manhattan.

Also at other sites I have a couple of Cook n Kettles. I would love to get more time with these cookers but they're simply too heavy to drag upstairs and onto the terrace. And of course, there's no room.

Cooking with fire is one of life's ancient pleasures. To borrow a phrase from knife-maker Bob Loveless, it really takes you "back to the cave".
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Enthusiast

just a novice on the smoking side, and don't have a purpose built smoker; but have been using a standard Weber Professional since last summer. Mostly ribs so far with pretty good results. attempting a brisket this weekend. Something different that has turned out great every time is smoked bluefish; I'll be doing that this weekend as well.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    just a novice on the smoking side, and don't have a purpose built smoker; but have been using a standard Weber Professional since last summer. Mostly ribs so far with pretty good results. attempting a brisket this weekend. Something different that has turned out great every time is smoked bluefish; I'll be doing that this weekend as well.
    Smoked whitefish is an Up North favorite here in Michigan. Been hoping to give that a try soon, but the bluefish sounds great too!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

I'm a fan of my Brinkman gas fired unit.

My secret is (was) to use really low flame and supplement with chunk wood in the lava rock tray.

I'm working on a design for a larger unit to smoke eels and fish. (Maybe a slab of bacon or a pastrami)

Cinder block base and doghouse style smoking shack.

Hurricane Irene has blessed my area with tons of hardwood and I've been splitting and stacking since last August.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Advanced Taster

Bought a Char-griller Akorn (BGE wannabe) a couple of months ago. Butts, chickens, steaks and burgers have been delicious. Will probably fire up some ribs this weekend.
    Tom Sangster
    Winterville, GA

I use a Brinkmann electric smoker. Cooked up a brisket for the derby that was delicious. While the equipment is certainly important, I agree that preparation and care while cooking are more important.

Connoisseur

I have a Chargriller Professional model Charcoal of course! ..4 years old. I love it. I don't have the smoke side box attachment I just do indirect heat with lots of Pecan and Hickory. I cook a lot, of burgers, steaks, and chops as well as fajitas and carnitas. I smoke pork butts and whole chickens. I don't really do briskets too often.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I BBQ on an older style 18" Weber Smokey Mountain (like the one Thad brought to Bardstown) and I've had great success with ribs and shoulder. I need to attend Randy's Brisket Boot Camp one of these days as my efforts there have been substandard.

I've used just apple and cherry for smoking until I was recently hooked up with some pecan chunks by Wadewood. The bacon was done in a combo of apple and pecan and wasn't overpowering.

For quick smokes like fatties or stuffed jalapeņos, I use an 18" Weber charcoal grill with good results.
    See Scott...another way we're alike. I too use a 18" WSM for ribs and shoulder but I'm lacking in the brisket quality.

I typically use a combination of apple and cherry for pork but I've been thinking about switching it up and using some Grape that Doug gave me next time.

For other things I use a Weber Genesis if I'm using gas or a Weber 22" kettle if I'm cooking over an open wood fire!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Disciple

Brinkman horizontal smoker with off-set firebox. I mostly do shoulder(8hrs) and pork spare ribs(4hrs). I use hardwood charcoal and hickory. My shoulder is N.C. Vinegar only, and my ribs are either dry Memphis, or Asian.

Great thread, BTW!

Virtuoso

Would love to try some of this when I find myself another career and have some money. Any tips from the BGE and Primo fans on where to go to learn more about how to use them and the BBQ Guru?

I have always cooked outside with just a gas grill but love me some BBQ.

Best regards, Tony