Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

Re: BBQ.... what is your weapon of choice?

Quote Originally Posted by bgageus View Post
    El Cheapo Brinkman, WSM(18) x2 and WSM 22. I love my briskett and chicken with heavy mesquite, pork with applewood but never have used that for a competition. Cherry with Beef and chicken, peach and pecan for pork in competition.
    Briskett starts on the 22 and butts on the 18 for 6-8 hours. At the turn Brisket gets moved to the 18 and ribs go on the 22, ECB for chicken. We use a rub... Anita's Hot and twek it a little.

Scott, the other half of our team is in Cleveland, do you compete in the area?
    I don't compete...it sounds like a great gig but I don't think I have the chops yet. I cant think of any competitions in my area, but I would have to look for them.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

I have an old original Redi-Smok electric smoker made right here in Houston, bought it about 20 years ago. I'm no pro, but it works well for me.

Disciple

18.5 inch beat up WSM I keep that way as it chugs along between 250 to 275 degrees regardless of the Chicago weather temps. I use it year round and probably more in the winter. Did a good job at the Nelson if I say so myself. I hear a rumor a 22 inch may be coming my way in a few days for my B-day .

How about lump versus Kingsford? Among the urban cognoscenti here belief in lump is a fundamentalist talking in tongues religion .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso
    Wicked Good lump is my fuel of choice
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

I prefer Royal Oak Lump, but have no problem doing Kingsford. I find the Kingsford Competition Briquettes are pretty decent.

One more bonus for the Kingsford, when I do a rotisserie chicken I don't have to do two burns of charcoal and leave half of it burning. Then Kingsfords burn for the whole 1.5 hours and are just about out by the time the chicken is done. If anyone has a Webber 22.5", get the rotisserie and you will not regret it one bit.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    I prefer Royal Oak Lump, but have no problem doing Kingsford. I find the Kingsford Competition Briquettes are pretty decent.

One more bonus for the Kingsford, when I do a rotisserie chicken I don't have to do two burns of charcoal and leave half of it burning. Then Kingsfords burn for the whole 1.5 hours and are just about out by the time the chicken is done. If anyone has a Webber 22.5", get the rotisserie and you will not regret it one bit.
    I like B&B Lump Charcoal (available at HEB stores) and used to get Hasty Bake Lump but Spec's stopped carrying it. I like plain old Kingsford for smoking, I find I can control the temp easier, along with a generous amount of wood chunks for smoke.

Connoisseur

Yup, I think the lump is great for direct grilling, steaks, veggie kabobs, etc, but the briquets keep the temp up and going longer for smoking and other long term heat requirements.

A new question, has anyone done a whole hog in the ground? I did, Hawaiian style, and it was easy!
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Kingsford regular for my slow smokes in the WSM. Lump mixed with hardwoods for direct grilling.

FYI Home Depot has twin packs of the 13.5 lb bags for $5.98 for Memorial Day. Lowes has twin 20 lb bags for $9.99.
    No US taxpayer was harmed in the making of my Ford racecar.

Guru

I use Fire King lump for grilling. I will usually soak some chips (currently oak, before that persimmon) in beer, wine, cheap bourbon or some other liquid and throw them onto the coals right before I put the meat on.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    Kingsford regular for my slow smokes in the WSM. Lump mixed with hardwoods for direct grilling.

FYI Home Depot has twin packs of the 13.5 lb bags for $5.98 for Memorial Day. Lowes has twin 20 lb bags for $9.99.
    Yeah my wife got that two for $5-something at Krogers last weekend. Heck of a deal!