Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur
    I use a weber kettle (21.5") for most if my bbq'ing. Very much a beginner but like others have had great success with ribs and pork shoulder. Probably going to throw a brisket note grill this weekend for memorial day party. For those interested check out this website that I have found to be very educational:

Http://www.amazingribs.com.

Connoisseur

Re: BBQ.... what is your weapon of choice?

I was gifted a Brinkman upright, I think it's a Smoke & Grill Deluxe, about 5 years ago. That thing is just amazing what you can turn out. Charcoal fired, and I'm a White Oak addict, the others just don't give me enough smoke flavor. It helps that my neighbor loves hunting wild hogs, and I have no problem tossing stuff on the smoker to cook, hams and 3' loins are the norm.

This weekend will be a brisket for dinner, ribs and bratwurst for lunch! I love smoking sausages, they're quick and very tasty.

I use a Webber kettle 21" for grilling, and I love that too.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    See Scott...another way we're alike. I too use a 18" WSM for ribs and shoulder but I'm lacking in the brisket quality.
    That's so synchronous, we're damn near twins Bob. I also have a Weber Genesis gasser for quick cooks.

Does the TP roll in the Hectic household roll over the top or come under from the back?
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    That's so synchronous, we're damn near twins Bob. I also have a Weber Genesis gasser for quick cooks.

Does the TP roll in the Hectic household roll over the top or come under from the back?
    It comes over the top so the extra TP doesn't roll to the floor...doesn't everyone mount TP rolls this way?
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    It comes over the top so the extra TP doesn't roll to the floor...doesn't everyone mount TP rolls this way?

We need to stop. I'm getting freaked out.

Disciple

Anyone have any good recipes involving used bourbon barrel char?

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Anyone have any good recipes involving used bourbon barrel char?
    We tossed some (very) fresh char on the charcoal under the steaks at the SB cookout in Bardstown. Maybe that's why the steaks were so good...it was the bourbon vapors!

Advanced Taster

El Cheapo Brinkman, WSM(18) x2 and WSM 22. I love my briskett and chicken with heavy mesquite, pork with applewood but never have used that for a competition. Cherry with Beef and chicken, peach and pecan for pork in competition.
    Briskett starts on the 22 and butts on the 18 for 6-8 hours. At the turn Brisket gets moved to the 18 and ribs go on the 22, ECB for chicken. We use a rub... Anita's Hot and twek it a little.

Scott, the other half of our team is in Cleveland, do you compete in the area?

Guru

There was a guy set up in my Costco store a while back, trying to sell me a pretty nice looking system that was like a drum smoker with a wood pellet hopper on the side, a screw that fed the pellets in to the burner at a variable rate (thermostatically controlled), and an electric burner in the main drum chamber. They also, of course, sold different kinds of wood pellets (hickory, mesquite, etc.). Has anyone else seen anything like that? Theoretically, it looked like a great system, but I have no idea how it works out in real practice. Also, there is a lot of stuff that could tear up. It was pretty expensive, too.

I think I'd still rather have a BGE.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

That was probably a Traeger Pellet Style smoker. I don't know a whole lot about them. IIRC, they changed their supplier to a chinese manufacturor and the quality dropped......I think the pellet feeder system breaks down prematurely. But they can produce good BBQ.

I use the 22 inch WSM with good results. Used the 18 incher for many years before hand. Simple and practically fool proof once you get familiar with your cooker. Biggest advantages to me over many other good cookers are that:

1) It is extremely portable. One person can break it down and load it into the back of a truck in less than 5 minutes. Re-assembly is just as easy.

2) Doesn't need electricity. Power out....no problem. Haul it out to a remote gathering.....great food will be produced.

Randy
    No US taxpayer was harmed in the making of my Ford racecar.