Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

Re: Buncha new stuff on the Michigan Liquor list!

Quote Originally Posted by deathevocation View Post
    Does the Michigan government control what alcohol is able to be sold in the state? I thought that sort of thing might be limited to some conservative counties in the southern part of the USA. Strange if true.
    There are various levels of "control" for states without free market liquor sales. In Michigan, the state determines what can be sold and sets a minimum price but the retailers own the liquor on their shelves.

In my home state (Ohio) the state also determines what can be sold and sets a minimum price, but they own the liquor on the retailer shelves. The retailers sell on a consignment basis on behalf of the state and I believe they get between 5 and 10% of the sale price as their fee.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by deathevocation View Post
    Does the Michigan government control what alcohol is able to be sold in the state? I thought that sort of thing might be limited to some conservative counties in the southern part of the USA. Strange if true.
    There seems to be no real connection between state wide ideology and liquor laws. Wikipedia lists the control states, and by my count the 19 are pretty much equally divided between "Red" and "Blue" States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol...#State_listing
    Rye whiskey makes the sun set faster.

Guru

Michigan is a "control state" but as control states go, it's not very controlling. We get a much better selection here than in many other control states. The control only really extends to liquor. Beer and wine are pretty much left alone.

Anyway, I also forgot to mention that, inexplicably to me, Old Overholt is coming to Michigan too. We already have Beam rye.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

[quote=Josh;29000
    Anyway, I also forgot to mention that, inexplicably to me, Old Overholt is coming to Michigan too. We already have Beam rye.[/quote]

Lucky you Now all you need is Ri(1) to finish out the gag bag.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 05-29-2012 at 09:20.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Lucky you Now all you need is Ri(1) to finish out the gag bag.
    Oh we already have it! The set is complete!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

We have been asked to distribute in Michigan several times over the last few years. The problem is not so much of state approval or retail distribution. The problem is the state markup is 60% BEFORE the retailer adds their markup. This makes the shelf price extremely expensive.

Enthusiast

Sorry Peter, but comparing prices from Party Source and Binny's does not show a significant difference across the board. Also, have checked with prices from Fla. and Washington DC and again not significant spreads. Yes, some products are higher and some lower and in general, the product in Kentucky is generally cheaper. But look at prices from Binny's and Chicago tends to be modestly higher than the Michigan.

Guru

It's also worth noting that a retailer profit is built into the minimum price.

For example: The minimum price for a 750 ml bottle of Evan Williams Black for the consumer is $12.99 +sales tax. The price the retailer pays is (if I'm reading the chart right) $11.05 per bottle. So even when selling at state minimum, a retailer is going to be making about $2 off each bottle.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast
    Personally, I would pay the higher price. I just want a larger selection, specifically the quality bourbons that aren't currently available in Michigan.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by awachatz View Post
    Personally, I would pay the higher price. I just want a larger selection, specifically the quality bourbons that aren't currently available in Michigan.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    The grass is not always greener on the other side. You could be living in Ohio, Penn or any other control State with a much smaller selection than this state. We don't have it too bad, could be worse. Also, Kentucky is only as short 5 hour drive, need to make a road trip and stock up. Another option is to find yourself a good mule.