Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dixie dew

Connoisseur

Re: dixie dew

Also, a touch off-topic, but I'm wondering if Virgin 101 is simply the Alabama version of Old Ezra 7/101.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    Also, a touch off-topic, but I'm wondering if Virgin 101 is simply the Alabama version of Old Ezra 7/101.
    I am sure that it is.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

On Tom's and others recommendation, I got a bottle of MC a few weeks ago, and I've really liked it.

But I was wondering how you guys best like to drink MC/DD:

Neat? Rocks? With a little bitters? In an Old Fashioned?
    Most of the time I drink my whiskey neat with a chaser of water. But last night I tried the DD in some Coke and really enjoyed it.

Connoisseur

I just tried a touch of them side by side. Nope. This stuff has a bready note to it.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    I just tried a touch of them side by side. Nope. This stuff has a bready note to it.
    Ya think so? I've done several side by sides over the years and have found them to be nearly identical. But, as the Ezra is sourced, it could be they've changed their supply.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

On Tom's and others recommendation, I got a bottle of MC a few weeks ago, and I've really liked it.

But I was wondering how you guys best like to drink MC/DD:

Neat? Rocks? With a little bitters? In an Old Fashioned?
    I drink 'em neat mosty, sometimes with a few drops of water.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Not sure why one would think Virgin is the same as Old Ezra. The proof? Presumably, Luxco does get its whiskey from HH, but Luxco does its own bottling so, again presumably, they're getting barrel-proof whiskey and also whiskey at different ages, and deciding for themselves what's Ezra, what's Yellowstone, etc. Virgin, on the other hand, is a Heaven Hill product and bottled by them.

Connoisseur

I think HH puts a lot of work into picking barrel that goe into their different brands. And they do a good job at it. Virginhas its own taste, as do each of it's corn brands and all of the bonds they put out taste slightliy different from each other as well. They do have quite a few barrels to pick from you know. On a side note, I am really learning that no 2 barrels of whiskey taste the same. Meaning you can put 2 barrels side by side both from the same batch of whiskey and each barrel the same and the whiskey in each will taste a little different. Amazing. Not so much does it happen in 10 gallon barrels but 53's for sure.