Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Novice

Aloha, from Hawaii!

Hi everyone!
    My name is Mark and am a native of Hawaii (Oahu). Smoke a lot of cigars and I love Whiskey and in particular Bourbon with them. Work in the spirit and wine industry and know that we dont get much bourbon here in Hawaii. We do get the big stuff like Beam, Brown Forman, some of the Sazerac stuff, Turkey, but strangely not any of the 4 Roses or Trace.

Ive got a collection of Bourbons that are not available in the state (Fred Noes, Van Winkel, 4 Roses, Mitchners, High West, Woodinville, Eagle Rare and a few others) Looking forward to reading what everyone else drinks and what they think of it! If you have any suggestions to add to the collection, let me know!

Mahalo and Cheers!

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Re: Aloha, from Hawaii!

Aloha Mark! Welcome to the site... it sounds like you've got a nice collection going there, and I'm sure you'll find lots of information about bourbon here to keep you interested for years to come!

It's funny (to me) you've joined now. I'm an Aussie member who is sitting in an appartment enjoying the views of Waikiki as I type. We've been here on vacation for two weeks and head home Thursday. You certainly live in a beautiful part of the world!

Novice

Thanks Cameron!
    Great to have you in town for the past couple of weeks. You lucked out with great weather (not too hot with some breeze). Hope you enjoyed Hawaii and all we had to offer!

Cheers!
    Aloha,
    Mark

Disciple

Welcome. You've got a pretty good base there. Blanton's is always a good pour for me, and works very well by itself, with a cigar, or in a Manhattan.

Welcome Mark!

I'm on Mauna Kea on the big island for work and am polishing off a bottle of ETL as I type. I know it's not your island, but I'm heading down to Hilo this evening for dinner, any advice on where to pick up a new bottle? I realize that pickings will be slim...

Spencer

Connoisseur

Welcome! I bet that having a pour with a cigar in Hawaii would be awesome, not that there is really a bad place to drink whiskey if given the opportunity. See ya around!

Josh

Guru

Welcome to SB. My daughter once lived in Oahu and I've visited many times. Beautiful Island you've got there. Too bad about the bourbon supply but I guess you can't have everything.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Thanks Mark, the weather has been fantastic (if a bit windy the last few days)..... but certainly warmer than the weather at home. Thanks to Tamura's, I'll be leaving with some bourbons I can't get in Australia (Knob Creek Single Barrel, Jeffersons Reserve and Makers 46.)

Advanced Taster

Aloha, Mark, from the Big Island.

I live on the Hamakua Coast north of Hilo. Just returned from the Mainland on Monday with a couple of bottles of bourbon you can't get here: William Larue Weller and Four Roses 100th Anniversary 2010 release. The only BT distilled bourbon around here is Blanton's, as far as I know.

For Spencer: The best place in Hilo for bourbon is Kadota's, but you'll almost certainly find no ETL there.

Cheers!

Connoisseur

Hey all, feels right to post my first shout out in this Hawaii subgroup thread [no hijack intended].

I'm in the process of extending my taste from scotch to bourbon and rye.