Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Hello from White House, Tennessee

Hello. My name is Chad and I got serious about Bourbon about a year ago. I have never been much of a drinker and still only have 1-2 drinks per week. What really attracted me to bourbon is the interesting history and manufacturing process from the grains to aging.

Gathering information is my current interest in Bourbon. I have read several books, listen to podcasts and visit websites/online forums. I have also been buying every sample bottle of bourbon and whiskey I can find. Looking forward to learning more through this forum.

Chad Zolman

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Hello from White House, Tennessee

Hello, Chad. Welcome to StraightBourbon.com.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Apprentice

Re: Hello from White House, Tennessee

Welcome, Chad,
    I'm rather new here myself and found this group willing to share their knowledge during the short time I've been on SB. If you want to know Bourbon, you have come to the right place.

Rob

Apprentice

I too am new to being a serious bourbon. I never was a big drinker either, but I drink 2 or 3 drinks a day. I'll take a few days off every now and then. If I don't have time to enjoy my whiskey then I won't drink. I started with bourbon, but I'll occasionally buy a bottle of scotch, which is completely different from bourbon in most respects.

If you haven't yet I'd try Wild Turkey 101, Old Forrester, Charter 101, and Old Grand Dad 114. I'm partial to uncut higher proof whisky, but that's just my personal preferences. I live down in Murfreesboro, so we probably encounter very similar selections of liquor. Always be sure you use a proper glass to taste it.

Enthusiast

Chad
    This place is very welcoming and there is a wealth of knowledge to be shared ... enjoy!
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Guru

White House, Tennessee. Now that's a cool-sounding town! Welcome to SB, Chad. What have you tried so far and do you have any favorites? Don't forget: You don't have to buy from the top shelf to get excellent whiskey. You'll find Very Old Barton BIB and Old Grand Dad 114 down around your knees when you're browsing the bourbon shelves and they are both great value bourbons at affordable prices. Have fun!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Novice

Thanks for the welcome.

KYPayne - I have tried all those, but the Old Grand Dad. It is on my list though.

unclebuck - White House may be cool sounding, but not very cool. We are a dry town with liquor by the glass. I work in Nashville, so try to hit a large store downtown when in need of something new to try.

I have really tried to limit the price of whiskey I try. I am not able to afford $100+ bottles. I have been trying to find things I really like in the $20-$30 range with an occasional visit to the $50-$60 range. I have only tried about 30 varieties so far. I usually buy sample or 200mL bottles to try something new. I am currently enjoying Maker's Mark, Jim Beam (black label), Bulleit and Woodford Reserve. I feel I have tasted many of the basic or introductory whiskies and hope to take a step up to single barrel and other special versions such as Maker's 46 and Woodford Reserve Double Oaked in future tastings. I am planning a trip to the Bourbon Trail in October, so hope to taste many new things then.

Virtuoso

Howdy Chad and welcome from up in Michigan.

Glad to have you here.

Best regards, Tony

Chad, you may want to check out Midtown Wine and Spirit in Nashville (located just off the interstate on Church St) this friday, July 20. They will have a tasting of 3 different Four Roses bourbon from 4 till 7 p.m.