Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Memories of Tim Sousley

Thanks Cliff, for letting us reminisce on a truly generous and thoughtful friend of ours. As I attend or listen to the Braves dozens of times from April to October, I am fortunate to have the opportunity to think of Tim often. As many know, Dan Uggla of the Braves was from Tim's town of Columbia, TN. He wrote here fondly of watching Uggla play ball from Little League and into the Majors. Particularly, his writings of Uggla during his early career in Florida have always stuck with me. So, barely a day has gone by during the season that I don't get the opportunity to remember, albeit with a dose of sadness, our friend that we lost too soon.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Miss you still, Tim, but my life is better for having known you. I'll raise a glass to you again tonight, my friend. Tim 2008.jpg
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Guru

As will I Cliff, as will I, Tim was a remarkable fellow whose presence enriched those around him.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I'll be raising a glass of something special to remember Tim tonight. He is definately missed. For those who didn't know him, here's an example of the types of bottles he liked to share with friends. These were his offerings at the 2008 Sampler...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

Drove down to Columbia with my friend, Bill, to visit Tim several years before he passed. He knew me casually from SB and didn't know Bill at all. We walked into his apartment (this was before he bought his house) and were stunned by the hundreds of bottles of fine and rare bourbon that lined the walls. Tim told us that we were welcome to anything there. I remember trying the 1957 OGD bond that Joe mentioned at the top of this thread and a 17 yr old barrel proof Stitzel-Weller that Julian had swapped Tim for one of his unusual bottles of Old Fitz. And a copper penny bottle of Woodford Reserve. Many others that I can't recall. Then we all went out to dinner.

When I got back to NYC, I sent Tim a bottle of WT 12, a bourbon that I had sampled on his recommendation years before and had loved. It was a paltry offering for a man who had everything but I thought Tim might like it. Tim's spirit of generosity was so immense that it inspired others. But you always felt like you were playing catch-up with him.

I saw him a couple more times in NYC when he was visiting Cliff. Once in Queens and once in Manhattan. We walked through Central Park and he talked about bringing Tommie with him on his next visit.

I was in London when I was shocked to learn of his untimely passing. That night a bunch of British and American actors toasted his memory with Jim Beam Six Grain at the Old Vic. I was happy knowing that his spirit had reached across the Atlantic and touched people he hadn't known in his lifetime.

I'll borrow and paraphrase a passage from John Berryman to sum up my thoughts and feelings about Tim:

"I declare a mystery, he mumbled to himself,
    of love, and took the bourbon from the shelf
    and drank to him a tall one, tall."
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I am glad Tom Sousley is being remembered and in such a warm fashion. I've written about Tim a few times, always with heavy heart, but it lightens when I think of the emotion and memories he has inspired in so many. Part of the animating spirit of SB is due to him, to be sure it is multiform thing, which started with and continues under the sure hand of Jim Butler, but Tim is one of the people who wove an indelible thread in its tapestry. Camaraderie and generosity were the hallmarks, as all have noted here.

Tonight, I will remember Tim with a quiet sip and ponder his many sides, e.g., educator, motorbike enthusiast, sports fan (and indeed a former sportswriter), homeowner, bourbon enthusiast. He was a people guy par excellence, not through an obvious chummy quality (and nothing wrong with that) but more through the force of his unique personality. That he is remembered so fondly by many attests to his special and unique qualities.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

In life, you meet a lot of people. I'd say most I've met are good people. It might be a narrow majority, but it's a majority. Some, a much smaller number, touch or impress you positively in some way. And then there is that much smaller number, a handful at most and that's if you live a long time and are lucky, who absolutely knock you out. Tim was one of those. When you got to know him, and I probably didn't know him as well as many others did, the enormity of what he was just overwhelmed you. It's that small number, like Tim, who when you experience them you just automatically want to be a better person yourself.

I try to imagine a world with more Tim Sousleys. It's a shame we lost the one we had so early.

Enthusiast

I came to this site late .. too late to have known Tim. I am bowled over by the expressions of all of you guys and .. until tonight .. didn't really know you other than the intelligent to sometimes bellicose albeit enjoyable banter. You guys are the real thing & tonight I'll raise a glass to all of you with absolute appreciation for your stated expressions. Well stated all. Salute!
    Jon

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    I came to this site late .. too late to have known Tim. I am bowled over by the expressions of all of you guys and .. until tonight .. didn't really know you other than the intelligent to sometimes bellicose albeit enjoyable banter. You guys are the real thing & tonight I'll raise a glass to all of you with absolute appreciation for your stated expressions. Well stated all. Salute!
    Excellent post. I joined up shortly before Tim's passing and never got to meet him. All of the posts about him here seem to reflect what a profound effect he had on the membership of SB. From what I've seen, you're all doing a great job of carrying on in his spirit. I, too, will raise a glass to Tim and to those who knew him and lost him too soon.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Wonderful words about a wonderful man from a wonderful wordsmith. Posts like this one spin threads that both bind and extend this great community of friends. Thank you, Chuck. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    In life, you meet a lot of people. I'd say most I've met are good people. It might be a narrow majority, but it's a majority. Some, a much smaller number, touch or impress you positively in some way. And then there is that much smaller number, a handful at most and that's if you live a long time and are lucky, who absolutely knock you out. Tim was one of those. When you got to know him, and I probably didn't know him as well as many others did, the enormity of what he was just overwhelmed you. It's that small number, like Tim, who when you experience them you just automatically want to be a better person yourself.

I try to imagine a world with more Tim Sousleys. It's a shame we lost the one we had so early.
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof