Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Memories of Tim Sousley

I didn't know Tim other than through through this site. He sent me a few PM's about bourbon I should try and what he thought I might like when I was a new comer to bourbon. He was a big help in getting me started on my bourbon journey.

The way the members of this site speak of Tim, and the fact that he is remembered on this unhappy anniversary is testament to the quality of the man and the members of SB.com.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I too have many memories of Tim and some are downright hilarious. But when Tim got interested in something, he didn't put his toe in the water, he went all in. And that's what he did with his bourbon hobby. Living on a school teacher's salary, Tim acquired quite the collection including some fine old SW bottles.......and he never hesitated to share them with everyone! He came to visit me in Houston in the summer of 2005. He was feeling a little down and just needed a short get away. We had a blast hanging out with my local bourbon posse seen in the pic. Of course, Tim is on the far right. Tim also enjoyed fine wines and that's what we're drinking in the photo while holding some BTEC's we opened later in the evening. He is missed for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No US taxpayer was harmed in the making of my Ford racecar.

Connoisseur

It's 3 years now since we lost Tim....I just poured a glass of ORVW 15/107 to celebrate and remember the last time we were together and shared a bottle (with Tim happily taking home the small remainder left in the bottle).....I'm not good at putting words together as Chuck did so eloquently last year, but I just felt it was appropriate to revive this thread again on the anniversary of his passing in order to remember a friend.

Guru

We should all have a drink in his memory, good guy.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I had a quiet little toast to Tim at the Sampler last month.... 6 years since we had the great fortune to meet and share a weekend in Bardstown with him. His absence was noticeable.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I often think of Tim, he is one of those people who make a mark on your life. I think I've said before it was his selflessness that probably had this result, the willingness to give of himself and whatever he had. In the current expression, he gave much more than he took. People noticed that because in a self-reliant society, often (and nothing wrong with it) the contrary impulses assert themselves. Although I was privileged to visit his home once, I most remember the quiet discussions in the General Nelson motel rooms, he ensconced in a corner except when walking over to the tabletop to discuss a special bottle or something he wanted to point out. And all who knew him will remember him constantly carrying boxes! He had a nice smile too. Special people do live on though via the memories they inspire in others and in a certain way therefore we can still enjoy his company. Thanks to Cliff for mentioning Tim again.

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I often think of Tim, he is one of those people who make a mark on your life. I think I've said before it was his selflessness that probably had this result, the willingness to give of himself and whatever he had. In the current expression, he gave much more than he took. People noticed that because in a self-reliant society, often (and nothing wrong with it) the contrary impulses assert themselves. Although I was privileged to visit his home once, I most remember the quiet discussions in the General Nelson motel rooms, he ensconced in a corner except when walking over to the tabletop to discuss a special bottle or something he wanted to point out. And all who knew him will remember him constantly carrying boxes! He had a nice smile too. Special people do live on though via the memories they inspire in others and in a certain way therefore we can still enjoy his company. Thanks to Cliff for mentioning Tim again.

Gary
    AMEN.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thinking of our buddy that we lost too early, with a pour of the SB.Com HHSS. I'm thinking he would have approved of this barrel selection.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

I never knew Tim, unfortunately, as he passed shortly after I joined. It sounds like he was an amazing man whom many on here considered a close friend.

I can only hope one day I would be remembered so fondly.

I'll have a pour this evening in Tim's honor. May he rest in peace. He is obviously sorely missed.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Guru

Here is a photo from the 2006 Sampler.
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"