Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Memories of Tim Sousley

Great picture Joe, thanks for sharing. I often think of him. Here is a story I never shared I believe on the board about Tim. (If I did forgive me, as time passes one forgets sometimes…). I once asked him, "Tim, what is the origin of your surname? It sounds English to me, or Scots". He said, "I don't know, the first one came so long ago. There was something in the family about it being German". I (a friend but not someone super-close), replied, "Tim, I don't think it's German, it sounds English to me, the 'ley' ending in particular". I knew that he wouldn't take offence due to his good nature and intellectual curiosity. I said, "You know, you can check surnames on the Internet, sometimes you get a sense of where they come from". He said, "Really? Why don't you check then". I looked carefully to make sure he really meant it, and said, "Okay, I will". Some months passed and I had forgotten about it, then I saw a post of his online. So I searched a bit and found there was a record of people of this name in northern England in the late 1800's. The next time I saw him at a Gazebo, I mentioned it, and he said, "Cool, maybe it is English after all, thanks for checking". Of course, what I found may neither be here nor there, but he found it of interest because it interested ME. He loved people and was famously generous to a fault, with his time, other resources, everything. We all miss him who were privileged to know him. I always think of Cliff Michel when I think of Tim and many here know why. Cliff, I hope this finds you and your lovely family well. Let's raise a glass in joint memory of our late friend, and I ask all here who knew him to join in.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-29-2014 at 18:40.

Guru

I will Gary, I certainly will.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Thanks Squire and really sorry you didn't know him, both of you would have enjoyed the other's company.

Guru

Got to know him fairly well through pm(s) and phone conversations Gary, enough to call him friend as would just about everyone who knew him I suppose.

I didn't know that! Delighted to hear it.

Gary

Guru

Reminds me of a Tim story. He and I were talking about dusty hunting in NE MS where it turned out he located a bottle in a store I had already visited. He chided me a bit over the one-upmanship then offered to give it to me which was so Tim.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Wow. Posts like these send a rush of thoughts of this gentle man my children called "Teacher Tim." He loved my kids and they him. Tim would read to them on the couch in L'ville and although quite young at the time, they remember these times fondly. In 2008, Tim accepted my offer to join us in our box in the front row of the upper deck between the mound and third for the last season at Shea Stadium. A former sports reporter, who once covered the Titans' Super Bowl run, Tim had a great time with us for a Mets series that year. Here's an early Gazebo pic of Gary, Tina, Tim and Dave. Damn, I miss him so.

34881-Gary,Tina,Tim,Dave,1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Great picture Joe, thanks for sharing. ... We all miss him who were privileged to know him. I always think of Cliff Michel when I think of Tim and many here know why. Cliff, I hope this finds you and your lovely family well. Let's raise a glass in joint memory of our late friend, and I ask all here who knew him to join in.

Gary
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Barrel_Proof View Post
    Wow. Posts like these send a rush of thoughts of this gentle man my children called "Teacher Tim." He loved my kids and they him. Tim would read to them on the couch in L'ville and although quite young at the time, they remember these times fondly. In 2008, Tim accepted my offer to join us in our box in the front row of the upper deck between the mound and third for the last season at Shea Stadium. A former sports reporter, who once covered the Titans' Super Bowl run, Tim had a great time with us for a Mets series that year. Here's an early Gazebo pic of Gary, Tina, Tim and Dave. Damn, I miss him so.

34881-Gary,Tina,Tim,Dave,1.jpg
    Wow. I know Gary and Dave but I never got the pleasure to meet Tim. Such a damn shame as he sounds like an amazing man. He passed just after I joined. Tom and Dawn tell me stories but it just doesn't cut it. He commented on a few of my very first posts on SB. Wish I had more time to get to know him better.

Cherish those around you lads. You just never know.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."